2020 Whitetail Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OXN

Reaction score
After basically being a nature photographer on all my out-of-state hunts this fall, blackpowder season in VA showed with a nice high pressure-induced cold front. Saw only one little 2.5 year old six point in the morning, who appeared to be limping. Sucks being the new guy.

Figured I'd get in nice and early for the afternoon. I'm not the kind that usually does six hour long sits- I think the quality of your hunt tends to degrade after a certain point- but it was opening day and conditions were nice. So, I grabbed my climber and hiked into my spot around 1:30. As I hooked it to my tree, I remember thinking what a bright day it was, and how few deer I had ever seen that early on days like that. Got about a third of the way up and took a little break to let my noise signature relax a little. Was watching a Pileated woodpecker when I heard a crashing about 200 yards off. It was loud enough that I assumed it to be a large branch falling from the wind the night before. Then I heard footsteps. It was kind of like one of those movie scenes where a character suddenly gets hit by a very salient, scary realization.

I hunt with my layers in a little day pack, and hike in with just a light layer on top to keep from sweating during setup. In this case, I was wearing nothing but a short sleeved T shirt. I also realized my rifle was unprimed right about when I saw the doe. She was running towards me, looking behind her. Yikes city. I was fumbling for the primer I had in my cargo pocket when I saw his rack coming through the scrub brush. More yikes. All I could do was sit still, wearing my stupid T shirt, about 6 feet off the ground. He got closer and getting a good look at him made things much worse. 100% shooter. She jogged by me with him hot on her trail, about 25 yards away. Pretty wild to have two completely oblivious animals pass that close to you.

I got my primer in as they were beelining away and kicked myself about a thousand times for not being ready sooner. A few minutes passed and I was starting to fight the mix of depression for missing the shot and stoke on how cool it was to see. Then, my dude from the a.m. showed up- the gimpy little six. He trotted right over to their trail and grunted a few times. That was it. The doe and her suitor both came back, and as soon as he saw the little six point, he peeled off to go ruin this thing's day. By this time I was ready... and it was about a 30 yard shot.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.23.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.20.01 PM.png

Every year I hunt, it becomes more of a profound gratitude and appreciation than fist pumping success. This was no exception. Thankful for a really beautiful, incredible animal and the opportunity to experience the amazing place he came from.

Last edited:
Congrats on a mighty Fine Buck :lewis:

Congratulations on a successful hunt! I fully understand your peaceful gratitude, and appreciation for being able to harvest such a fine animal. After tracking down my bow buck this year, I quietly knelt down beside him in wide eyed amazement. Laying a hand on his thick coat, imagining how this fine buck would provide sustenance for me this winter, I uttered a humble “thank you ole boy”. An image of my Dad’s smiling face came to mind too, as I thought back 45 years ago remembering how he introduced me to hunting. It truly is a special moment, and a lifetime memory made in the deer woods.

Attachments

• 4331D360-218C-45DD-99AE-AF6516DA52B5.jpeg
    4331D360-218C-45DD-99AE-AF6516DA52B5.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1B5C803B-85C5-46FF-9F9E-3737AE72DBBB.jpeg
    1B5C803B-85C5-46FF-9F9E-3737AE72DBBB.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 21
Super good stories that go along with equally super deer. Congrats to the two of you. Beautiful animals.

I first hunted deer in 1965 with a bow. Since that fall I have missed only two falls when the state actually closed the season in my area because of low herd numbers and only blanked on one season. I have had my fair share of crazy events while hunting over the years and OXN's story brought back some memories from only a few years ago.

Great story and great deer! I’m with you on that fist thumping and gratitude thing. I never miss the opportunity to show my gratitude. It’s a spiritual thing.

Every year I hunt, it becomes more of a profound gratitude and appreciation than fist pumping success. This was no exception. Thankful for a really beautiful, incredible animal and the opportunity to experience the amazing place he came from.

To bad more hunters don' think like what you stated. Thank you for your thoughts. :lewis:

I use to show pictures of game gotten above my name, then those pictures became personal and I stopped, I guess showing respect of the life I had taken.

Thats awesome OXN! Im super glad that happened for you. So many cool things happen when im just relaxing in the woods. I always thank Whoevers listening when i shoot a deer. Congrats.

To bad more hunters don' think like what you stated. Thank you for your thoughts. :lewis:

I use to show pictures of game gotten above my name, then those pictures became personal and I stopped, I guess showing respect of the life I had taken.

100% agree Buck! I am as much for the Conservation of our Wildlife as i am Filling my Tag

Great stories and nice trophies/memories. I had tag soup for the first time in about 20yrs. as I let does walk during regular gun season and didn't see a deer 1 during 4 day ml. I did however recover from the 'rona which set in at the beginning of regular gun season and I used the deer woods for social distancing. Congrats to all the hunters on your harvests.

Congrats, great story and buck!
That's what its all about, and that it happened to be a nice one makes it all the better

Where in VA were you hunting? I live in Frederick County, VA

Thanks a ton, guys. "Fortunate" just doesn't even begin to cover it.

This guy was in Surry, Virginia. Kinda weird to think about, but he's probably a direct descendant of the whitetails they had at the first Thanksgiving- the swamp he came from is just a few miles from Jamestown.

Back