209 Primer Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Hi to All

What is the difference between Winchester shotgun primers and the primers that they sell for muzzleloading? (Winchester 209 primers for muzzle loading)
I reload shotshells for trap/skeet so I get a lot of the shotgun primers each year. Can I use them in my muzzleloader or not?
Thanks for all the great help Jeff

The original rifles made for the 209 were designed to use the standard shotgun 209 primer. For a little while some of the companies took the standard primers and marked them as Muzzleloading primers just to have something to sell and they also jacked the price up. After finding out that with some powders (Tripple Seven specifically) there was a crud ring being formed due to the hotter primer, they started making primers with less fire and that is now what they sell. If you do not have a crud ring problem you can use the standard shotgun primer with no problem.

Where is the crud ring formed, deep in the breech? I just bought the CVA Buckhorn, will get the 777 pellets, and I have REM209 and FED209 primers from reloading shotshells.

Thank you.

Back