22'' barrel????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinelander

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a T/C Black Diamond 50 cal stainless NEW for under $100.00. I have never hunted with BP before, but I am up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin in which 90% of the shots at whitetail deer are under 125 yards. I would install a Williams peep sight on it. What is your opinion on the Black Diamond and its barrel length? Thank you :!:

that is an excellent deal, i'd jump on it in a heartbeat. w/ shots under 125 yds, a 22" barrel is all you need. i actually prefer a shorter barrel because its handier in the woods. a t/c black diamond is a quality, well-made firearm. i had an old t/c thunderhawk and it was a tackdriver.

First off, welcome to the forum. It is good to have you here.

The Black Diamond with the 22 inch barrel is all the rifle you will need. Especially in Northern Wisconsin. It would be easy able to hand shots out to 150 yards if you are good enough with a peep sight to shoot that far. I have used a Black Diamond XR for many years. Although in all the years I have owned it I have not been able to score a deer with it. Not that I did not try, the deer never gave me a shot, and I hunt with a number of other muzzleloaders as well.

The Black Diamond is a good shooter. 100 grains of Pyrodex and a 250 or 300 gr Shockwave and you should be in business. It would be able to take deer well past the 125 yard range. The BD shoots a lot of different projectiles including conicals in my rifle. Some of them are XTPs, Shockwaves, PTX, maxiball and a number of other things. Plus you have that Thompson Center guarantee behind you.

I am currently shoot a White Ultra Mag .504 caliber with a T/C 1X scope so it is legal in Wisconsin. I think this is a better way to go then a peep sight IMO. Plus if you put Warne QD rings on it, you could mount a different scope in similar mounts and use it during the modern season as well.

The Black Diamond has a few disadvantages as you will come to discover. They do fowl the breech a lot. They have three different ignition systems, which makes it real handy for you.. The 209 will handle all kinds of weather for you. When on the range, be sure and twist the breech plug every 10 shots, to make sure it is not seizing up on you. Other then that it comes with great fiber optic sights. They are well balanced and shoot great. I like them a lot.

Great to see another WI'ite on the board!

After hauling my Omega to the range a couple times, I think my next ML will be a shorter barrel as well (hopefully in a more traditional rifle if the wife allows ;) ), but as I've yet to take it out hunting, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I still want a short barreled traditiona, hopefully in .54 l. :D

Rhinelander said:
I am looking at purchasing a T/C Black Diamond 50 cal stainless NEW for under $100.00. I have never hunted with BP before, but I am up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin in which 90% of the shots at whitetail deer are under 125 yards. I would install a Williams peep sight on it. What is your opinion on the Black Diamond and its barrel length? Thank you :!:

I've owned that exact gun. It was a REALLY accurate rifle. I wouldn't give that deal a second thought. The barrel length will be no issue for shots mostly under 125yds.

Rhinelander, The Bd will be fine, it will also shoot powerbelts very well.
I hunt just West of you (Price Co.) and Northern Wi. can be great during the ML season. seems the deer come out of there hiding places and we also have snow :D
Redclub

My friedn has one and it shoots awesome. 1 hole groups at 50. His is blued with a wood stock. He paid $225.00 used. If you dont grab it for $100. Let me know I will.
Frank

Thank you, for all your replies. I have purchased the muzzleloader and now in the process of ordering supplies. Hope to have it ready for the range by the first week of May. With some stead range work, I should be ready for the Wisconsin Deer Hunting season.

I want to thank the forum & members for a well-run & very informative web-site. Reviewing the posting and replies has provided me with a wealth of information.

Respectfully

Ben

Thank you, for all your replies. I have purchased the muzzleloader and now in the process of ordering supplies. Hope to have it ready for the range by the first week of May. With some stead range work, I should be ready for the Wisconsin Deer Hunting season.

I want to thank the forum & members for a well-run & very informative web-site. Reviewing the posting and replies has provided me with a wealth of information.

Respectfully

Ben

Back