.52 on its way to get chopped

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sent my new .52 Disc out to Bestill yesterday to get it chopped, going with 21 inches from back of breech should make it a very handy tree stand gun now instead of feeling like I'm swinging a tree around :D
He should have it by the 5th cant wait to see what it feels like when I get it back, hunting season will be over by then so will have to wait till next season to try out in a stand.

dbowling said:
Sent my new .52 Disc out to Bestill yesterday to get it chopped, going with 21 inches from back of breech should make it a very handy tree stand gun now instead of feeling like I'm swinging a tree around :D
He should have it by the 5th cant wait to see what it feels like when I get it back, hunting season will be over by then so will have to wait till next season to try out in a stand.

We sure differ here Dean, I couldn’t imagine shortening a barrel, unless it was to remove a QLA Muzzle and Re Crown :D

No doubt Jeff will do an Awesome job on it for ya! :yeah:

yeah but the difference is you shoot from a bench 98 percent of the time or are on the ground hunting where it doesn't make much difference how long your barrel is..
I hunt from a tree stand 99 percent of the time and its a pain in the butt trying to get a long barreled gun up and swung around and to your shoulder..
If I ground hunted I would still prefer a shorter barreled gun just for the fact that I'm not going to ever be shooting over 200 yds and out of the 90 or so deer I've killed with a muzzleloader most have been in bow hunting range.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:

We sure differ here Dean, I couldn’t imagine shortening a barrel, unless it was to remove a QLA Muzzle and Re Crown :D

No doubt Jeff will do an Awesome job on it for ya! :yeah:

dbowling said:
yeah but the difference is you shoot from a bench 98 percent of the time or are on the ground hunting where it doesn't make much difference how long your barrel is..
I hunt from a tree stand 99 percent of the time and its a pain in the butt trying to get a long barreled gun up and swung around and to your shoulder..
If I ground hunted I would still prefer a shorter barreled gun just for the fact that I'm not going to ever be shooting over 200 yds and out of the 90 or so deer I've killed with a muzzleloader most have been in bow hunting range.

I agree, A Shorter Barreled Rifle would be a better way to go from a Tree Stand :yeah: Shooting from a Bench such as i do it really doesn’t matter how long the Barrel is, Though i would not go over 34” I really like 32” For my Style of Hunting i prefer my GM LRH Barrels at 28”

this is true and have done several myself and had good results just decided to let a pro do the brand new gun.

Semisane said:
Why send it out for something like that? Chopping a few inches from a barrel is a pretty simple do-it-yourself job.

I sure agree with you, I want to do the same exact thing for the same exact reason, only problem is my three 52 cals are fluted and I can’t see it ending well. I tried the one phone number for a rebore but no answer, I will try again, I may have to buy a disc extreme barrel for a chop job. I do love the 52 , and can’t understand why it hasn’t been more popular, good luck with it

If your trying to get ahold of Bobby Hoyt try calling him right at 8am his time and just let phone ring, unless he's not in the shop for some reason he will usually answer.. any other time its a crap shoot if he will hear the phone at all.

dwm said:
I sure agree with you, I want to do the same exact thing for the same exact reason, only problem is my three 52 cals are fluted and I can’t see it ending well. I tried the one phone number for a rebore but no answer, I will try again, I may have to buy a disc extreme barrel for a chop job. I do love the 52 , and can’t understand why it hasn’t been more popular, good luck with it

Latest posts

Back