54 cal sabot help or options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnordwell

Reaction score
So like the title says. I got a few sample packs from mmp sabot for my grey hawk. They sent some for 44 mag bullets that have a finish dia of .554 so a little big for the 54. But what if I put some 41 mag bullets in them?? What would that do if anything bad?? I know the 41 mag don't normally have a heavier then 210 which is fine would use for deer maybe or just plinking if they fly good that is. Also have some in the 45 cal size those loaded good haven't shot them yet. Am planning on it today maybe.

You have options. MMP makes a 54 cal sabot for a .499-.500 bullet and there is also a sabot that takes a .452 bullet. The twist in your rifle is 1-48 so the bullets that go into the sabots need to be short in over all length. Keep them in the 250-300 grn range and they should stabilize. I have shot the purple mmp 54x50 (sabot & .500 size bullet) combo out of my Lyman trade rifle with positive results.

Harleysboss said:
You have options. MMP makes a 54 cal sabot for a .499-.500 bullet and there is also a sabot that takes a .452 bullet. The twist in your rifle is 1-48 so the bullets that go into the sabots need to be short in over all length. Keep them in the 250-300 grn range and they should stabilize. I have shot the purple mmp 54x50 (sabot & .500 size bullet) combo out of my Lyman trade rifle with positive results.

I shot those but are a pain to load. So I ordered a sample pack of the 45 cal ones.they load super well. Shot today at 50 and could put a 2" group not to bad with iron sights and off the hood of my truck..lol will hit the range after the holidays

jnordwell said:
Harleysboss said:

I shot those but are a pain to load. So I ordered a sample pack of the 45 cal ones.they load super well. Shot today at 50 and could put a 2" group not to bad with iron sights and off the hood of my truck..lol will hit the range after the holidays

Did you check the hood of your truck afterwards? :roll:

excess650 said:
jnordwell said:
Harleysboss said:

Did you check the hood of your truck afterwards? :roll:

Yep still there with all the rain no chance for the burn..

Back