.58 Thompson "Big Boar"?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooldog

Reaction score
I have been shooting inlines for a couple of years and I recently decided to pick up a more "traditional" ml. I got a TC Hawken .50 persussion that is now my favorite of the bunch. Now a friend of mine is offering me a deal on a Thompson .58 cal "Big Boar". I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's only been fired a few times and is in mint condition. I think I can talk him down to $200. I can't find any information about the "Big Boar" anywhere and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience or recommendations. A good deal or not?

Thanks.

Tooldog

tooldog said:
I have been shooting inlines for a couple of years and I recently decided to pick up a more "traditional" ml. I got a TC Hawken .50 persussion that is now my favorite of the bunch. Now a friend of mine is offering me a deal on a Thompson .58 cal "Big Boar". I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's only been fired a few times and is in mint condition. I think I can talk him down to $200. I can't find any information about the "Big Boar" anywhere and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience or recommendations. A good deal or not?

Thanks.

Tooldog

$200.00 for a Thompson Center .58 caliber Big Bore!!! you better grab that thing up before he changes his mind because he is out of his mind to sell it for that price. New they run around $500 depending on if it is a cap lock or a rock lock. You can see them at http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/section.cfm?section=16 FoxRidge Outfitters.

The rifle has a 1-48 twist and will shoot roundball or conicals very well. I read posts from one that bought the same rifle and they are shooting 110 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball with excellent accuracy.

.58 caliber rifles are one of my favorite. I have a T/C Renegade that I put a .58 caliber 1-70 twist Green Mountain Barrel on. I shoot 110 grains of Goex 2f and a moosemilk patched roundball with amazing accuracy. Actually for all my non scoped rifles, this is the most accurate one out there. It will lay them in a 4" bull all day off a bench rest at 100 yards. I have shot much better groups then that on some days, but on average, 4" is not uncommon at all...

I would buy the rifle if I were you.... Good luck.

tooldog said:

Thanks.

Tooldog
Check the BORE on the big boar, I have shot one out, if he is telling you straight and you can verify that, then jump on it! They are excellent shooters!As Cayuga stated that would be a good deal!

Tar-12 said:
tooldog said:

Thanks.

Tooldog
Check the BORE on the big boar, I have shot one out, if he is telling you straight and you can verify that, then jump on it! They are excellent shooters!As Cayuga stated that would be a good deal!

I agree with both, above. :D If it has a good bore, buy it!

I picked up the "Big Boar" a while back , but haven't shot it yet. I've been cleaning it up. Overall, it was in excellent shape. There was some rust and corossion and pitting around the nipple and just above it on the flat. The gun was apparenly not completly cleaned the last time it was shot. The bore was horribly leaded and I am still working on that. Hope to shoot it soon. Here are some pics if the links work.

Corrosion picture
Barrel logo
Better look at corrosion
Lock and trigger

tooldog

The corrosion around the nipple is only minor, the bore is the main thing. Looks like a nice gun. Hope it shoots well!

Big Boar

I have TC 58 cal. Big Bore that is a Bear Buster with 100 grs of 777 2F and the TC Maxi Ball.

Re: Big Boar

Auton said:
I have TC 58 cal. Big Bore that is a Bear Buster with 100 grs of 777 2F and the TC Maxi Ball.

OUCH! That load sounds like it might smart a little bit. Not only to you but to the bear....

My .58 caliber I still shoot 110 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball.

Latest posts

Back