A little excitement this morning...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Good morning,

We had a little excitement this morning. Took our usual drive to where our new home has started construction to see what's going on, about 20 miles one way.

On the way back home we go from a busy street with church traffic to a two lane each way pretty straight highway visible for 20 miles that usually has very little traffic on Sunday morning - Mountain View Corridor. 

We come off of the secondary road onto this corridor having gone a quarter mile when out of no where comes these four high dollar sport cars at high speed. A Ford GT, Lamborghini Huragon, Ferrari 488 and a McLaren 650C come by us at a very high speed (twice of what we are doing at 70 miles an hour). Once by us they kicked it up to what they are capable of with 700-800 horses and disappeared in seconds.

If we had done anything to get in their way we would have all died. What got Karen was they weren't 20 feet apart and moving at 130-150 MPH before kicking it up, that's scary folks. They went by so fast you couldn't get a lic number if you tried or gotten a look at the drivers with those kind of speeds.

:Hide:    :say whhhhhat:
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for the time.[/font]

FrontierGander said:
stupid people eventually pay the price down the road.
No kidding and they total a 350K to 400K vehicle and probably kill several others in the process.

This happened a handful of years ago but a guy and his friend were driving a dodge viper towards steamboat springs, hi speed. They were going so fast, that when the driver lost control, the only way the cops knew what kind of car it was, was by finding the Viper badge in the grass. The car basically exploded and turned inside out.

Think I remember that one, everyone was looking for Elway as they figured it was the same red color as his Viper.  

On Look Out Mountain there were a couple of kids took dad's Pantera down over the side of the mountain, among all the twisted metal they found the name plate of the car and body pieces of the brothers.

My Pantera wouldn't do but 155 before it floated the valves.
It was fun to drive when it wasn't being worked on.

"the Pantera went down over the side of the mountain" - the police figured they went air born between 100-110 MPH, at 75-80 feet down from the road above, they never knew what they were in for.

No mountains in Florida .. but lots of curvy roads. I could take most of the curves at 125. Cows getting out on the roads was the biggest danger.

patocazador said:
No mountains in Florida .. but lots of curvy roads. I could take most of the curves at 125. Cows getting out on the roads was the biggest danger.
A kid going to college at CSU in Ft. Collins and working part time in a gas station (nice kid but spoiled by his father) had a '72 Pantera. He was always racing other class mates around the area. Finally not taking care of the vehicle he blow the motor in '74. It sat at the gas station for months, one day I was getting gas and asked if he wanted to sell the car?  He thought a little while then replied $5K, I told him I'll take it but need a title. Everything was agreed on and then dad got in the middle and took the car to a Ford dealership, never saw it again. The kid (Brian) said his dad got mad when he asked for the title. That was my only chance of owning a Pantera.

Mine was a blue '71. Damn thing would overheat constantly because the electric fans in front of the radiator would either blow fuses or short out. It was almost impossible to trace the wiring due to the Italian workers splicing in whatever color was handy when they ran out of a certain color. Blue could be spliced to yellow and then to red .. the deTomaso workplace must have been a Rube Goldberg affair.

The body panels would also rust for no reason. I always thought they were shipped uncovered on the top deck of a cargo ship across the briny blue.

I have seen the rust like your bringing up at car shows, one would have to take the car down to bare bone to correct the rust and rewire the whole vehicle. Talk about a large cost factor - WOW. 

A few years ago I made the mistake of buying a 1970 Challenger (original factory drag race car for several of the MO Dodge Dealerships). Had known of this car since '72 and being an NHRA SFI Tech Official could keep tabs on vehicles I was interested in through their records of them at different events. The Challenger came up for sale in MN in 2004, made contact and fly into MN from CO, looked at the car for an hour, paid for it and had it brought in by a local hauler. Boy was that a mistake, should have walked away from this one. 

Have a friend that does race car restorations look it over to update anything old school. Once he was done and found it had rust problems along with other issues that had not been cared for I needed to make a call on what to do.

Ended up with a total tear down, upgrade anything questionable. Drive train rebuilt or replaced, all new from quarter panels, flooring to deck lid, to much to mention. After spending $60K it was done and would run a full second faster at a mile high (Denver) than in MN at 1,200 feet lower. The best part was at a Mopar Swap Meet we sold everything that was replaced from interior to engine and drive pieces along with the original hood and grill for more than the replacement parts. After 8 years of playing with this one it was sold and we broke even for the money spent, my labor was a wash. The first race car we have owned and got the invested funds back, we are talking about 50 years of drag cars and many dollars spent and not recovered. $$$$$$

Latest posts

Back