A new friend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 1937 production Savage 99 .30-30 has earned a favorite label.
A very fine rifle, in my favorite caliber, she has a fast, accurate barrel and is completely unfussy. 2 factory loads and every reload I've tried all fall on the same vertical line. My 2 best loads so far, 150 and 170 Sierras over CFE223 powder, give factory advertised velocities with outstanding accuracy. A nice touch is the point of impact difference between the 2 loads, at 50 yards, is only 1 1/2 inches.
Classic is an overused term, but this one truly is. Rust blued steel and oil finished walnut. Still as she came from the Utica NY factory, complete with unbuggered screw slots, perfect crown and no... extra holes etc.
I once thought the Marlin 336 was the best .30-30 rifle, especially the long barrel A version. But now, I think that the 99 Savage better rates that title. Being able to use pointy bullets is of no benefit to me. I think a .30-30 should have a nice round nose/ flat point bullet, showing LOTS of nice soft lead. Tradition...

Back