Acura LRX 50 Cal Load Advice Needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignaszak

Reaction score
I’ve been a muzzleloader hunter here in upstate New York for over 25 years, shooting a TC Z5 Omega 50 cal shooting Triple 7 Pellets and 250 grain sabots. I decided earlier this year to invest in a new CVA Acura LRX, the TC has served me very well over the years. I’ve purchased Blackhorn 209 powder but am looking for advice on powder and bullet combinations. New York opened a holiday hunt a couple years ago b/n Christmas and New Years. Typically late season is strictly hunting the food sources and areas that hunt can provide shot opportunities out to 250 yards. I’ve equipped the gun with a Leupold VX Freedom and bi-directional muzzle break. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you- Jeff

250 grain Barnes or XTP .451/.452 bullet, black sabot, 110 grains by volume of BH209. Choice of primer that is NOT muzzleloader specific.

I'd bet that over half of the member here shooting a CVA break action rifle of .50 caliber use and have settled on this load. Deadly deer medicine within the yardage you mention.

Did the LRX come with the blackhorn breech plug? My accura V2 Lr did not and I had to purchase one to use blackhorn powder.

250 grain Barnes or XTP .451/.452 bullet, black sabot, 110 grains by volume of BH209. Choice of primer that is NOT muzzleloader specific.

I'd bet that over half of the member here shooting a CVA break action rifle of .50 caliber use and have settled on this load. Deadly deer medicine within the yardage you mention.
Much appreciated Mr. Tom thank you!

Much appreciated Mr. Tom thank you!
If you do not want to use the BH209 due to cost, you can achieve near identical results using T7 granular powders of FFG or FFFg granulation. My Accura V2 will shoot, and likes, T7 FFFg at the 110 grain by volume charge just like the BH209 with a 250 grain bullets and at 100 yards one would not know which powder was used to get the less than 1" group, except for the smoke T7 creates.

T7 creates issues like the crud ring that needs to be pushed down every shot or every other shot. At the range this is not an issue and I use T7 at the club. In the field I use BH209 because it shoots cleaner, has a better damp weather dependability and doesn't require cleaning the night I shoot it. For everyday club shooting I'd suggest getting and using the T7 that shoots best in your gun, then bite the bullet and buy the BH for hunting. Before the season starts and after you've done your sighting, take time to verify the BH's group compared to your T7 group and if you need to make a minor adjustment do it. Doing so will keep you in BH for the field for several years while the T7 will keep you at the club. There is a happy medium.

I appreciate the information but i already bought 2 containers of BH209, LOL
A jug of 777 is twice as much powder and is less than half the cost of blackhorn! Mr.Tom is just trying to save you a little money. Like he said use the 777 at the range and keep the powdered gold for the woods! 😁

my apologies for not responding sooner. My son is coming home from the Air Force for his sisters wedding this weekend. A lot going on! Lol

I’ve been a muzzleloader hunter here in upstate New York for over 25 years, shooting a TC Z5 Omega 50 cal shooting Triple 7 Pellets and 250 grain sabots. I decided earlier this year to invest in a new CVA Acura LRX, the TC has served me very well over the years. I’ve purchased Blackhorn 209 powder but am looking for advice on powder and bullet combinations. New York opened a holiday hunt a couple years ago b/n Christmas and New Years. Typically late season is strictly hunting the food sources and areas that hunt can provide shot opportunities out to 250 yards. I’ve equipped the gun with a Leupold VX Freedom and bi-directional muzzle break. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you- Jeff
I purchased a CVA LR-X a few months ago. I really like the gun. I added a Anarchy muzzle break for those long range sessions. It helped tremendously on the shoulder. The best groups so far have been with Barnes tez 290 sabots and Hornady 290 grain bore buster. I’ve had success with Blackhorn 209 between 70-84 grains by weight and 3 white hots pellets 150 grain. I purchased some Hornady 340 grain bore buster but haven’t had time to test these. I like a large bullet for zElk hunting. I’ve been disappointed in the power belt bullets that I have tried.

Latest posts

Back