Advice On PowerBelt Platinum AeroTip Bullets 270 Gr. Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebbie

Reaction score
OK Guys I am totally new to muzzleloading and have a lot to learn I want to get off on the right track! I bought a TC Encore Endeavor this past December and on the advice of my brother I was using a .50 Cal T/C 250 Gr. Shock Wave Sabot bullet powered by the American Pioneer Jim Shockey's Gold sticks. I have a quality Zeiss Conquest scope on it and we just could not get any consistent groups with it! I would have 2 shots close then the third would be way off! I would clean it every 3 shots. Ok so after much research I found out that the Jim Shockey's Gold powder is not that good, so I am switching to the Blackhorn 209 powder. I was going to try to use the Powerbelt 270 grain Platinum bullets but I am hearing horror stories with these bullets on deer! I am going on a Dream Hunt this December in Iowa for Trophy deer! I want to make sure I am using the right bullet! The reason I wanted to use the PB is that I hear they shoot great groups! But if it is not good for deer that what good are great groups! I am thinking about trying the Barnes or Hornady bullets. I would love to hear any advice for me. Thanks for anything you can offer!

Ok I am hearing that the Hornady?s FPB are better tham the Powerbelt for deer! Anyone else use them?

I personally dont care for PoweBelts at all. A good conical is just as effective and 1/4 the cost.

If you really really want to use them, use the 400gr+ size and no more than 90gr of powder.

Try shooting the Hornady SST's with 100gr BH209. I tried the new Aerolite Powerbelts in my .50 Omega and it was all over a 6" shoot and see target. Depending what sabot comes with the Hornady SST's you have, switching them out with Harvester crushed rib sabots may give better accuracy and load easier.

If you have never cleaned your breech plug flash channel after months of shooting APP take about 5 minutes and decarbon it with a 1/8th drill bit spun by hand. If the 1/8th will not fit then start with a smaller bit and work up until the 1/8th bit spins freely by hand. This will save you some headaches at the range. Once its cleaned it will only take one spin after each range session to get it decarboned.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

Powerbelts would not be my bullet of choice for a Dream Hunt in Iowa. Good Luck.

Omega45 said:
Try shooting the Hornady SST's with 100gr BH209. I tried the new Aerolite Powerbelts in my .50 Omega and it was all over a 6" shoot and see target. Depending what sabot comes with the Hornady SST's you have, switching them out with Harvester crushed rib sabots may give better accuracy and load easier.

If you have never cleaned your breech plug flash channel after months of shooting APP take about 5 minutes and decarbon it with a 1/8th drill bit spun by hand. If the 1/8th will not fit then start with a smaller bit and work up until the 1/8th bit spins freely by hand. This will save you some headaches at the range. Once its cleaned it will only take one spin after each range session to get it decarboned.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

Powerbelts would not be my bullet of choice for a Dream Hunt in Iowa. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info! Do you like the Hornady SST's better than the Hornady FPB?

Load Advice

I won't shoot anything but Hornady's SST-ML High Speed Low Drag in 300 grains. I use 2 White Hots pellets and Remington KleanBore primers but I've heard mostly good things about BH209. The only negative I've heard is that it's hard to ignite so ML specific primers might not give a complete burn. Most guys like it and they say it's extremely clean.

In the 250gr class i strongly prefer the Harvester 260gr PT Gold over the 250gr SST or Shockwave...excluding the bonded versions. The bonded is a great bullet but its tough and may need more fps than you care to "endure" for reliable expansion. You can practice with the standard 250gr though and hunt with the bonded version if you wish.

The PT Gold though seems to work better over a wider fps range and has been one of the easier bullets to achieve good groups for me. The 300gr SST is plenty tough for deer but i still like the 300gr PT Gold a little better. Im fairly confident either would do just fine for deer and some larger game.

I shot the 260gr PT Gold version quite a bit faster than subs can achieve and was amazed how well it grouped. My bore is tight (.500) and the Harvester short black was a perfect match. Many prefer the Crushrib but i seldom get as consistent results with them unless i use a bullet larger than .452 with them. They work great with a .458 bullet in some MLs.

The main thing i would strongly recommend is make sure your loading jag fits the PT Gold properly so it wont damage the poly tip. This is a good idea with any tipped bullet. Even the slightest damage to the tip will kill your accuracy.

Well I'll add my two cents.. My pro hunter loves the 200 gr. shockwave.. 3 shot group @100 yrds can be covered with a quarter.. Some say it's to light but I have had no problem with it on 6 deer so far.. The largest was a big bodied 8 pointer that went less than 20 yds. The bullet lost it's core but both jacket and core were under the hide on the off side.. I shot one doe high lung that left very little blood trail but that was shot placement on my part. I push it with 110 gr volume of BH 209.. Good luck with your choice and post some pics of the Iowa monster you kill..

It's been a while but I will update you. I tried using the Blackhorn 209 powder with the Hornady 250 GR SST Low Drag bullet. My groups were not all that great with maybe 2" to 2 1/2" Groups. I also noticed that the barrel was still just as dirty as the Jim Shockey Gold Powder! I have no idea how people say the barrel does not get dirty? My Father bought an Encore Pro Hunter and I watched him put 3 shots at 100 yards almost into the same hole while using 3 pellets of Pyrodex and a 250 grain T/C Shock Wave Sabot bullet. He would swab between shots. I decided to give it a try so I used 3 pellets of Pyrodex with the 250 GR SST Low Drag w/ the Lock-Load Sticks. I would clean between shots. I was able to get 1 inch groups at 100 yards! Well this will be the load I will be using in just a few days as I head to Iowa on a Monster Buck Hunt! All you Blackhorn 209 guys that have had great results, more Power to you! I have 2 Brand New Bottles of Blackhorn 209 waiting out there for me that I can not use. I will be flying on a plane so I had to ship all the Powder ahead of time. If anyone is in western Iowa and wants some Blackhorn 209 powder just let me know! I hope to post some Photos here when I get back!

Blackhorn 209 works better with a tight fitting sabot/bullet combination.
The EZglide may be too loose.
Also Blackhorn will make your bore look dirty but after a few shots, it loads very consistantly shot after shot in my remington barrel. If you decide not to fool with it I am in SE Ohio if we can work something out on the powder.

Latest posts

Back