All set up to stick one tonight.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caplock1

Reaction score
I set up my ground blind today. I plan to sit in it this evening with my cross bow. I probably won't pull the trigger but it should be exciting if a deer walks up. I might have set the blind too close to the corn pile. It's only 10 yards away. If one comes in and I pull the trigger, I certainly doubt I'll miss.
Here is a picture of the set up. The little black thing on the tree behind and to the right of the blind is my trail camera.
100_1782_zps411555d6.jpg

Good luck! Bow hunter is a hard sport IMO. I certainly do not have the patience for it LOL. Way to nerve wracking for me.

Deer usually spook from a blind that just got set up. Leave it up if you're unsuccessful and they should calm down in a while.

Turkeys don't seem to be bothered by a new blind at all.

Good luck. :D     
I hope you did better than I did on opening day. Remember to shoot a bit low in case they squat when you shoot.

FrontierGander said:
Good luck! Bow hunter is a hard sport IMO. I certainly do not have the patience for it LOL. Way to nerve wracking for me.
You're telling me it's hard! I bow hunted for nearly 30 years before harvesting my first deer with an arrow just last year.

Spitfire said:
Good luck Caplock....trust you make some meat tonight !
I still have plenty of venison left over from last year so I probably won't even shoot tonight. It's still pretty warm here, 73 f degrees now, and I don't want to be rushed to have to get the meat refrigerated.

patocazador said:
Deer usually spook from a blind that just got set up. Leave it up if you're unsuccessful and they should calm down in a while.

Turkeys don't seem to be bothered by a new blind at all.

Good luck. :D     
I hope you did better than I did on opening day. Remember to shoot a bit low in case they squat when you shoot.
OK...Thanks...and OK

8)

Good luck caplock :!: :!: Hope you let the air out of a wall hanger or at least fill your freezer with venison.

Ray............ :Red tup:

Oh well, nothing showed up this evening. That's OK though, I didn't really want to be tempted to shoot one anyway. If anything shows up tonight,tomorrow I'll check the camera's video to see how they react to the blind.

Caplock...10 yards to the pile seems pretty close. :face:  You have quite the reach with that crossbow!

-----------------------------------------------------

I set up my trail cam the other day and nothing.  I need to re-locate it to another spot where there is activity within a 24 hour window.  Archery season starts on October 20th here in Mass.
I'm a ground hunter exclusively so I know what you are dealing with a bow at deer level, so good luck this season :!:  

One good thing about bowhunting deer at ground level is distance isn't as critical. A fast bow will shoot to almost the same spot from 10 to 20+ yards. It's a different story from 15-20 feet up a tree.

I had 4 deer come in to the top of my property about 40 yards away at 7:00 pm. One was a 4 point that passed behind a doe with it's 2 fawns and kept walking offering no shot. The doe with it's fawns stopped at the top edge of the property and stood and stared at the ground blind refusing to come down to the corn. Maybe next time.

Back