Another wild hair is growing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a 4x30mm BSA Tactical Scope with the mil-dot cross hairs from Amazon.Com for my Sig Sauer 522. Well it came today. So I had a choice.. mow the lawn or shoot a rifle with a new scope. After a very hard decision.. the rifle won out.

myplace002-003.jpg

There the little rifle is... the scope is not too bad. For $43.00 and that came with a mount for my SKS and all the tools to put the thing on, and the rings... I guess what do you expect. The scope is pretty clear. I have seen better. But for the money not bad. The parallex is set at 100 yards. Which kind of surprised me. The controls were very easy to understand and figure out once you read the instructions.

myplace001-002.jpg

So I got a target and set it at 25 yards. I mean after all this is a .22 rifle right. And discovered it was not dead on.

myplace003-003.jpg

it was shooting low and to the right. So I made gentle adjustments until I had it hitting the bulls eye.

myplace004-001.jpg

then I loaded 10 rounds and checked to make sure it was hitting in the bulls eye. I was pleased with that group.

After that I gave the spinner targets a real bad time. Just set the hair and squeeze. And away they would go. The 50 yard plate was easy. Almost too easy. So I had some canned goods that went bad on me. You know.. you buy the stuff on sale.. put it in a cupboard for approximately 10 years and the stuff is no good. So I set a little can of tomato paste out at 100 yards. Held dead on the can and hit high on the can just under the lip. Next time I held the bottom of the can and hit dead center. So it shoots a little high for some reason at 100 yards.

Then I set the cans up again, and shot free standing. Out of a 9 round magazine I hit two cans at 100 yards. And one had to be from spray because I was shooting fast. But over all it sure beat mowing the lawn...

accessories-1.jpg

Not much difference between the two target groups. I did find that at 25 yards aim dead center on the very small spinner and at 35 yards aim at the bottom of the small spinner.

I have having a friend make me some gongs out of 1/4 inch steel plate. That is plenty for the .22 but no good for the muzzleloader. But still I want to hang them out at different distances so I can do a stalk and shoot.

I have really enjoyed this rifle. I have put over 1500 rounds through it. Not failure to feed but I have had several failure to fire with the Winchester ammo. But I was told by others that this ammo is kind of known for that.

I actually think the clerk at Wal Mart is getting suspicious of me. I was there the other day and picked up two more bricks of .22 shells. He then mentioned.. didn't you get two bricks of shells last week. I told him it was Wal Marts fault for selling me that Sig Sauer 522. After I said that, he had a good laugh.

He then asked me how accurate it was. I told him not only plinking accurate but hunting accurate as well. It seems he's been looking at their last one on the rack as well.

Back