Antlerless Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Congrats to your friend !! CT has a decent herd in some areas, certainly better than where I am in MA. I got my CT non resident license for this past year, but unfortunately didn't have the time to get out as much as I wanted. Scouted a lot and had some promising areas in Natchaug, but was only able to get out there a couple times early in the bowhunting season. Next year!!

Wow! Congrats to your friend !! CT has a decent herd in some areas, certainly better than where I am in MA. I got my CT non resident license for this past year, but unfortunately didn't have the time to get out as much as I wanted. Scouted a lot and had some promising areas in Natchaug, but was only able to get out there a couple times early in the bowhunting season. Next year!!
I know a guy that hunts Natchaug, he usually does pretty well there. It's a big forest and I don't know exactly where he hunts. He took a small 4 pointer this season there.

Either he still wears kid's jeans or that is a seriously large animal! Send my congrats to him.

It seems early to be dropping racks but I think if a deer is stressed, weather or something, it may do so early. Really big deer with substantial racks will tend to drop early too as it takes time for the racks to grow to large proportions and a deer needs to recover from the rigors of growth from the year prior.

I've taken a couple of bucks over the years that had already shed their antlers and the earliest I recall was also on 12/17 same as your friend. But I'm very sure that my Virginina whitetail was much less then half of your friend's beast!!
My congrats

Shot a buck about 5 years ago or so and antler fell off when dragging him out. He was previously shot and was sick.

I know several guys around Oklahoma that are seeing bucks that have already dropped antlers, and the general consensus is that it’s got to be a result of stress from the summer drought.
On my place, I’ve only seen a couple that have lost one side.

Latest posts

Back