antlers shed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARY GORHAM

Reaction score
while muzzleloader hunting around the 15 th dec in michigan i jumped a 12 point buck and shot him going away breaking his back leg. while tracking him in the snow i saw him laying down and took a bead on him and the guy who owned the property yelled at me and spooked him. the second shot missed him. i went over to tell the owner who i was and he said he was sorry he messed things up, but i said thats ok. i went to the spot i shot and found one side of his antlers on the ground,i picked them up and started tracking again. about 1/2 mile later i jump him again and missed him. when i finally caught up to him and killed him he did not have any horns at all, just bloody pedistals. at first i thought i was going to have a great trophy and ended up with a male doe with no horns . i backtracked to find the other side and never found them as it was snowing so hard i could not see. maybe i will find them this spring..

Gary I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago shot a nice 6pt is was the Dec 14 went over to rolled him over by the horn and it poped off!
I tried to get the other one off just to see if it would no luck.

Did you have to use your buck tag or did you have a left over antlerless tag? With the warm temps and lack of snow did you ever find the other half of the rack?

I've never experienced that problem while hunting the UPs muzzleloader season and I hope I never do. There were no public land antlerless tags where I hunt in December.

i tagged him with an antlerless tag and and cut the part that said male. i never got out to find the other side but maybe i should. how was the muzzle loader season in the u.p. see many deer or did you see any wolves? would it be worth my while to go up there for the season? thx gary

Latest posts

Back