Any thoughts on Blackhorn 209 vs Black Mag #3???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
I haven't been able to locate BH209 up here in Vermont but the dealers seem to be carrying Black Mag #3 now and swearing by it. I know some of you gentlemen have tried both and there is surprizingly little written about BM #3 lately. How would you rate cleanliness, corrosiveness, ease of ignition, power, etc?
Thanks

They had it on display at Sportsmans Wharehouse to day I refilled my case at 29.99 if they have that store in your area you might find some I was in Memphis. Lee

No comparrison

Three years or so ago I wanted to love BM3.

It has serious benefits. VERY clean in comparison to other BP subs (of the day). I just could never get any real accuracy out of it. Others have. I couldn't, out of three different MLers. Then again, I'm pretty fussy.

There's no comparison between BM3 and BH209.

Anything that you hoped to get with BM, you get 10 fold over with BH.

It has serious benefits. VERY clean in comparison to other BP subs (of the day). I just could never get any real accuracy out of it. Others have. I couldn't, out of three different MLers. Then again, I'm pretty fussy.

That's pretty much where I stand on BlackMag 3. I could never get the same accuracy I could get with Triple Se7en although I know some that really liked it. Then there was the packaging problems where instead of loose powder, you'd get a brick of powder.

IMO for the most part Blackhorn 209 has sealed the fate of BlackMag 3, especially for the inline sabot shooter. BM3 may find some market where some have rifles that won't reliably ignite BH209 or perhaps with some conical shooters.

Thanks everybody, just the kind of feedback I needed.

I guess the guys around here are going to have to order some BH209 for me. Seems to some desire to stay local and MDM from Maidstone, Vt area is handling the BM#3.
BTW, I hit the 4 main gunshops in the Champlain Valley and not one had even heard of Blackhorn...

I have used Black Mag'3 in several forms. It has been improved over time and the clumping is pretty much a thing of the past now. I had good results both for cleaning and accuracy in my Omega which refused to shoot Tripple Seven without the worlds worst crud ring. Black Mag'3 shot multiple shots well in the Omega. Harvested one elk with 90gr. BM3 and 300gr. sabot bullet with complete lung shot pass through at 100 yards. I also agree that in rifles that will shoot Black Horn 209 and ignite reliably there is likely no competition. However, there are several that will not including my brand new KRB7. None of the percussion cap rifles will shoot BH209 either. Black Mag'3 is almost as easy to ignite as Black Powder and if I remember it is even easier to ignite than T7 and about the same as Pyrodex. My only complaint about Black Mag'3 was the lack of availability which still seems to be a problem with them as I can get BH209 at Sportsmans Warehouse and I just saw some at Bass Pro although their price was $4 higher than Sportsmans and still no BM3. Late addition: Other rifles that will not shoot BH209 include: NEF Huntsman or Sidekick, most if not all of the Whites, Many of the Knight disk rifles are hit and miss, any rifle shooting any of the conicals that do not fit very tight. Apparently BH209 requires very positive sealing at the breech, very tight projectiles, very solid compacting of the powder, and a short and fairly large fire channel in the breechplug. T/C Omega, Triumph and most of the CVA break action Optima rifles seem to be doing well with the new powder.

MLKeith said:
... any rifle shooting any of the conicals that do not fit very tight. Apparently BH209 requires very positive sealing at the breech, very tight projectiles, very solid compacting of the powder, and a short and fairly large fire channel in the breechplug. T/C Omega, Triumph and most of the CVA break action Optima rifles seem to be doing well with the new powder.

A note on this. Saturday I was shooting 460 No-Excuses and they were very loose in my Genesis (not much more than the weight of the ramrod would seat them) and I had perfect ignition everytime w/BH 209. (CCI primers) I was however shooting a .510 veggie card so that may have helped since it was compressing it some. Don't know... With all that being said, the Genesis has the perfect breach plug for 209 so that may have been the reason behind it going off perfectly and not compression.

MLKeith said:
I have used Black Mag'3 in several forms. It has been improved over time and the clumping is pretty much a thing of the past now. I had good results both for cleaning and accuracy in my Omega which refused to shoot Tripple Seven without the worlds worst crud ring. Black Mag'3 shot multiple shots well in the Omega. Harvested one elk with 90gr. BM3 and 300gr. sabot bullet with complete lung shot pass through at 100 yards. I also agree that in rifles that will shoot Black Horn 209 and ignite reliably there is likely no competition. However, there are several that will not including my brand new KRB7. None of the percussion cap rifles will shoot BH209 either. Black Mag'3 is almost as easy to ignite as Black Powder and if I remember it is even easier to ignite than T7 and about the same as Pyrodex. My only complaint about Black Mag'3 was the lack of availability which still seems to be a problem with them as I can get BH209 at Sportsmans Warehouse and I just saw some at Bass Pro although their price was $4 higher than Sportsmans and still no BM3. Late addition: Other rifles that will not shoot BH209 include: NEF Huntsman or Sidekick, most if not all of the Whites, Many of the Knight disk rifles are hit and miss, any rifle shooting any of the conicals that do not fit very tight. Apparently BH209 requires very positive sealing at the breech, very tight projectiles, very solid compacting of the powder, and a short and fairly large fire channel in the breechplug. T/C Omega, Triumph and most of the CVA break action Optima rifles seem to be doing well with the new powder.
I have heard that but I have been shooting it for some time and have used over 3 cans, it needs good ignition but some guns like my System one which supposedly should not work well with it do work well.
On the tight fitting busness I find if its tight enough to shoot good groups with pyrodex or 777 it will work just fine with BH209, as far as conicals go some said it would not work well with them but my own experance is other wise I just tried some of the new Hornady FPB and got minute of angle groups with all 3 TC's. I personally think maybe it just brought some ignition problems to the light of day that had been in the twilight zone. Lee

Well,i like the BM3 when it came out and still do.But since BH209 has came out i love it even better.Now don't get me wrong,each have it's own good point's.BM3 has a lower Flash Point and works in my #11 caplock TC Hawken's just great!! I also have seen BM3 use as a Flash Pan powder and it work just great.
BH209 has a Higher Flash Point and takes the 209 Shotshell primer.They both have there points.
Now as far as i am concern,i will only use BH209 in my Inlines from now own,and i will only use BM3 in my sidelocks from now own.
I will how ever say this and hope the maker's of BM3 heard this.Do not pull this stunt that yall tried to pull with yall's Thunder Dome Crap and take it off the market again are yall risk looseing the pep's that tried to stay with yall.

Latest posts

Back