Anyone load for 38-55

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Death-junky

Reaction score
Hey all I just got an old 38-55 Winchester model 1894 made in 1903 from my grand father. I have everything I need to reload it but was wondering what you guys use for powder and the charge. I have a lb of Unique that i herd 10 gr under a 255 gr bullet works well.

Hey all I just got an old 38-55 Winchester model 1894 made in 1903 from my grand father. I have everything I need to reload it but was wondering what you guys use for powder and the charge. I have a lb of Unique that i herd 10 gr under a 255 gr bullet works well.
You heard right! A Lee 255 works great/Ed

I have a Winchester Canadian Centennial that started life as a 30-30 but a quick visit to JES Reboring converted it to 38-55. Had a custom mold made from Accurate molds. 250 grain .376. My bore is a .375. You may want to slug your bore so you have a good idea of what diameter bullet yours will like. Not all 38-55's are the same, or so I've been told and read about. I've been shooting 4198. I've yet to try BP loads.

Get your load data from a reloading manual. The manual should be written by either the bullet manufacture or the powder manufacturer. You will get starting loads and maximum loads and a lot of other information If you read the manual thoroughly.

Get your load data from a reloading manual. The manual should be written by either the bullet manufacture or the powder manufacturer. You will get starting loads and maximum loads and a lot of other information If you read the manual thoroughly.
Glad someone made that statement. Your dealing with an explosive situation. Hear say has no place in reloading.

I would NOT trust modern PB-sub powders in what is essentially a vintage firearm.

BLACK POWDER only ... but it's not me behind the trigger of your gun.

there is load data for them but you need to know if firearm was made for smokeless in the beginning,

I’ve owned ( and still have some ) early 38/55’s in 1893 Marlins and 1894 Winchesters. All pre 1915. I found the early Winchesters bores to be oversized. One in particular first year production 1894 Winch rifle was .385. While comparable year Marlins were spot on .379 plus Ballard rifling.
The Winchester’s then required a different bullet mold and dies. Gave up on em and stuck with Marlins.
So I’d say measure the bore before investing too much into loading for it.
But best wishes for they are fun to shoot.

BTW, I’m assuming it’s in the 756k serial no. range. Barrel should be nickel steel. Barrel and receiver should have WP marks.
Smokeless ,,, NP.

I load trailboss a bunch over the Lee .379 250g cast. Wouldn't be suitable for hunting, but very accurate and a hoot to shoot. Very mild for youngsters, just need to adjust your sights to compensate for the low velocity.

I believe this is a black powder area not smokeless, if you need load for modern powder look in loading manuals

Back