April Fools Day Foolishness

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Well since its April Fools Day I decided to do something foolish. I ordered another custom Flintlock. I ordered it from the same company as the last one since they did such a great job on my Lancaster Rifle.

This one is a little different. Its an Early Virginia Model with a nice maple stock again, Seiler lock, Colerain 1-56 twist barrel. But it is not swamped. I am finding more and more that I shoot off some kind of a brace whether its a shooting stick, walking stick, tree, or my shooting bench. So I am usually supported some how. And the need and extra expense of a swamped barrel was decided a no. I am sure I will regret that. But I made up my mind. This time, to save weight I ordered it in a 36 barrel straight barrel. Also this one is a .58 caliber. I like big bore rifles as you know. And instead of that German Silver that I spend ages with polish and a cloth, I went with the simple steel furniture. So they are going to brown both the steel and the barrel the same color.

Early%20Virgina%20Rifle_zpsowz2tqua.jpg

This should be what the wood looks like, but not the hardware. And no this is not some April Fools Joke. I really did it. In fact the woman that took the order asked me ... "is this an April Fools Joke?" I then remembered what day it was and we had a laugh.

The reason I went with the Early Virginia was ... it was recommended. The three rifles they discussed were the Jaeger, Early Lancaster (which I have) and the Early Virginia. Because of the caliber I wanted and the weight .. and stock specs, these were the ones they felt could best handle the job. I liked the looks of the Virginia, and I didn't want another Lancaster. So I went this route. I wanted a large flat butt plate, like my Lancaster to soak up recoil, and be comfortable with large charges, as I guess this one will handle. Look out white tails. Might have to try something meaner and bigger ... cotton tails. I hear they have big teeth.

Now comes the waiting. So remember what day it is and do something foolish. When you get old you have to have some excitement. I can just hear my friends when they learn what I done. They think I am crazy now.

Dave- I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that's gonna be one of if not the favorite rifle in your collection. Congratulations to an "old fool"!

That should sure knock a white tail off their feet. The Colrain Barrels are known for their strength. They are good barrels. My Lancaster has one. Strange twist though .. 1-56 but Colerain said that is the twist that works best for them in a roundball rifle.

You will love it! I have that exact rifle, steel furniture left in the white. Aging naturally. I whimped out at the last second and ordered mine as a percussion instead of the flintlock...may have it converted over someday. Mine really shines at 110 grns of FFG Goex .018 patch and .570 ball. Enjoy the wait :yeah:

Harleysboss said:
You will love it! I have that exact rifle, steel furniture left in the white. Aging naturally. I whimped out at the last second and ordered mine as a percussion instead of the flintlock...may have it converted over someday. Mine really shines at 110 grns of FFG Goex .018 patch and .570 ball. Enjoy the wait :yeah:

When I was talking to them and researching the rifle, another owner of a similar rifle shoots 120 grains of 2f Goex with a .570 ball. So that must be the somewhere in there hunting load. 100-120 grains of powder that is. How is the recoil? I was told that because of the stock design, recoil is actually very light for what's being shot.

My .58 is a 1-56" Getz, 32" long. 95-100gr ffg or fffg under a .570" in .018" pillow ticking shoots as well as I can at 100 yards. Mine weighs 7-1/4#, but has a 2"+ buttplate, so recoil seems mild. .562" in .025" cotton duck cloth also works well, and you'll never cut or blow the cotton duck! They can be shot again.

So Cayuga what company did you order that beautiful rifle from? I've been wanting to order a nice rifle like that but due to the price I decided to try and build one. I'm in the middle of it now it is a little more challenging than I thought. Love to hear how she shoots when you get it home.

This is the second rifle Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading will do for me. My .54 Lancaster has the same twist barrel. If this .58 shoots as good as my .54 I will be really pleased. While checking the Colerain Barrel Company site I see they make a 62 caliber RIFLE with a 1-66 twist. Now that sounds like something that would really be fun to own and shoot.

My "Jaeger" has a Colerain Hessian Jaeger barrel. Its 28-1/2" .62 and 1-66" twist. Coupled with a Chambers Early Germanic lock and white lighting liner, its as quick for ignition as any flinter I've ever shot. 100gr fffg Goex under a .605" in cotton duck cloth is enough, 120gr adds a little oomph, but 140gr is a might snorty. It weighs 7-1/2" and has a 2"+ buttplate. I had it to the range last fall and 3 of us took turns ringing an 8" square gong at 100 yards offhand. It shoots where you point it. :yeah:
eao3.jpg

I did consider and discuss the Jaeger Rifle with them. I decided after learning tha Colerain does a .62 caliber that I might need another rifle in the near future and it will probably be a Jaeger in .62 caliber. Then I promise, I will no buy more rifles. That will become my mantra.

That is a beautiful rifle you have there. I bet it really cleans a deer fast! That would have some amazing knock down power.

There are longer than "Jaeger length" barrels available in .62, but I wanted a compact sledge hammer. Where I often hunt, its thick with Mountain Laurel and rhododendron, and a tree stand is almost a necessity. The shorter barrels are handier in those confines.

buckwith58flinter.jpg

I took this buck with a 32" barreled .58, 100gr fffg under a PRB. Double-lunged at 25 yards, he went about another 25 before tipping over.

The one pictured with the .62 was quartering towards me, and I had only an offhand shot at about 60 yards. The ball struck midway up at the junction of the neck and shoulder. The only deer I've take that dropped as fast were either spined or neck shots with highpower centerfires.

I've shot a 32" barreled .69, and with 140gr it was too much for fun at the range. Rice now makes a .66 if you think you might want more than a 330gr .62 PRB.

BTW, I have another .58 in the works. It has a 38" Colerain octagon -round, tapered and flared barrel. It seems feather light. Another .58 has a 36"x1" GM barrel, and it seems a might heavy. If I were you, I would call and change my order to a swamped barrel, or the oct-rd tapered and flared that I already mentioned. There is a huge difference in balance, and not all that much in $$.

I seriously considered the swamped barrel for this build. But decided against it. The extra cost was a factor I admit. I wanted to keep the rifle bare bones. But another reason is, I shoot with supports 99% of the time. I tore the muscles out years ago in my shoulders. Then just a few years ago, tore the main bicep muscle in my right arm. So my days of holding and shooting free hand are limited. In fact I find my free hand shooting is more of a speed aim and shoot, before the arm and shoulder give out. Its no fun getting old.

So since I shoot a lot at the range where the rifle is supported, or off shooting sticks (cross sticks), walking stick, or off a sill in the tree stands, the rifle is supported. I was more concerned with a quality lock and triggers.

But I do like the idea of a .62 caliber. I used to shoot a smooth bore .62 caliber. it was a lot of fun. But due to really poor accuracy with a ball, I sold it. But what it did hit with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS was really smacked.

2-DSCN0475_zps8f1c8ecd.jpg

This is my Early Lancaster .54 caliber with a 1-56 Colerain Barrel swamped, seiler lock, davis triggers and it is a shooter!!

With that long barrel you are already "half way" to the target. :D Sure is a nice looker! Congrats!

Smokin Joe said:
With that long barrel you are already "half way" to the target. :D Sure is a nice looker! Congrats!

What he said! :lol: With a barrel that long, your group sizes should be half the size! :poke:

I really like Petaconica's Virginia stock pattern. :yeah: Its kinda thick and heavy through the wrist, has a wide butt, and should finish out nicely with the appropriate hardware. I had them cut me one with a .62 Rice Jaeger barrel, but haven't finished it as of yet. The lock and triggers amd trigger guard are in. The buttplate needs to be finsh inlet, and then the ramrod pipes and forend cap, but it should be quite the hunting sledge hammer.

That was one reason I went with the Early Virginia model, was we discussed the stock thickness, etc. I am glad to hear of your observations on your model. Different companies might make the rifle but a lot of the specs I am sure will be close to the same. That .62 caliber barrel you have made by Rice ... what twist it that? Also is that swamped? I think that will be my next rifle I try to get. That or a small caliber flintlock.

I even considered selling off all my other rifles EXCEPT my flintlocks (and one White Ultra Mag). And that would cut down on my collection, raise funds for some real custom rifles, and kind of cool me down a little on just too many rifles. (If there is such a thing).

When you get your rifle all set up, I would love to see pictures of it and also some range reports. That should be a real hog of a rifle.

Thinning your herd is a good idea. Keep 3-4 top-dog MLs and get rid of the rest. I sold several quickly (50 cents on the dollar) and when that herd left my safe, I had a big smile on my face. I am down to three MLs and that's enough.

Now I'm into handguns. I want one more this summer and that's when I stop.... at owning 4, one of-which is the wife's handgun.

For me personally......
Three rifles
Three muzzlelodaers
Three handguns
One shotgun

cayuga said:
That .62 caliber barrel you have made by Rice ... what twist it that? Also is that swamped? I think that will be my next rifle I try to get. That or a small caliber flintlock.

The .62 Rice is their Jaeger profile, so is swamped. The twist is either 1-66 or 1-72.

My other flinters are .45, .50, .58, and .62. I have a .54 in the works, but is patterned after a Leman and has a 15/16" straight GM barrel. I've shot a .40, and can appreciate how stingy a .32 or .36 can be on powder, but .32s have a reputation of fouling quickly, and you need .40 so as to be able to use a 3/8" rod....

My percussion guns aren't often used, but I do have .50 and .54 as well as 12bore. They aren't eating anything, so they can remain "just in case".

Latest posts

Back