Available Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know of available triple 7 or other less hot muzzle loading specific primers? Looking for no minimum order and something other than cheddite.

Midway has federals but max order is 1 pack. If I’m going to pay hazmat I want to order at least a 1000

That's crazy, 1 pack limit.
Graf&sons has Cheddite 209 primers in stock now.
1,000 or 5,000 count.
That's probably your best bet.
Thanks for the tip. Do the cheddites work well?

Last edited:
I don’t think Cheddite primers are reduced in power, so are not ideal for 777

They are available though, unlike pretty much everything else!

I am only able to find cheddite and federal 209MZ primers. I’ve only shot the federals so far with 777 and they were still leaving a decent crud ring.

At this point I think any primer is better than no primer. I bought cheddites with the expectation that they would get me by, down the road I can always load them into shot shells.

Man the shooting hobby is abusive these days 😂

I have used Cheddite #209 Shotshell Primers in both my break action pistol and rifle. Every time there was plenty of power to set off the Schuetzen 2F or the Goex 3F powders. I have not tried 777 but I can't see any reason they would not work just as well. Also, the primers fit just like they should and popped right out after firing.

I have used Cheddite #209 Shotshell Primers in both my break action pistol and rifle. Every time there was plenty of power to set off the Schuetzen 2F or the Goex 3F powders. I have not tried 777 but I can't see any reason they would not work just as well. Also, the primers fit just like they should and popped right out after firing.
Have you tried using Blackhorn 209 with the Cheddite primers?

Have you tried using Blackhorn 209 with the Cheddite primers?
I have not tried Blackhorn 209 with Cheddite primers, but they seem to have plenty of power and have gone off very consistently for me in my guns. I am sure they would work fine.

I've had great luck with Cheddite primers, not a single misfire or hang fire, and I've shot a couple of hundred. I also haven't noticed any issues with them sticking after firing, or not fitting properly.

I'm not saying people don't have issues with them, but I can confirm that they work well in some cases, and are one of the only primers readily available, which is always a big selling point, lol.

Latest posts

Back