Barnes 285g Spit-Fire MZ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
Who uses them and what do you think? I just picked some up at the Sportsmans Warehouse today to try out. I've heard they are a very good bullet but some people have a hard time loading them and getting them to group. I'll be firing them from a Remington Genesis.

They used to be the bullet of choice when Knight tests returned guns for accuracy. The 285 and the 245gr.

They both shoot excellent in Knights.

I shot the 245's out of my Disc Extreme and they shot very nice... consistently under two inches out to 200 yards.

I shot the .245 gr, in my Elite extreme and 100 yard I manage a 5/8" 3shots group.
Taureau noir

bet they're good

The 245 Spitfires with yellow sabots are sub-MOA (best of any bullet I've tried) in my Omega w/ both T7 and BH209 and don't load too bad with BH209. Never tried the big'uns but can't imagine they are bad and the BC is probably even better. Those Spitfires will shoot through a big whitetail end to end and not shed weight so what's not to like - except maybe the price...steve

The 285 gr. Spitfire MZ has been my bullet of choice for the last 2 years with excellent results on 15 animals. At ranges from 25 to 155 yards, muzzle velocities from about 1550 to slightly under 2000 fps. and animals from 35 to 700 lbs...this bullet has not failed me. It's a wicked tough killer with sharp copper pedals that double exit wound size, and even on large biggame it usually produces a exit hole. Also, the non-tipped MZ version has always grouped better than the TMZ.

Great Basin...you are absolutely correct.
The guys at knight use that bullet for elk when they hunt.

Back