Been out antelope hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
First time ever at antelope hunting and sunday my dad and brother and i headed over to the unit to take a look around. One hell of a place!

We ran into some antelope and got  a shot at a little over 300 yards with my AR10. And of course I missed because the little bastard took off just as i squeezed the trigger :Beating Muley:

We discovered one hell of a place to visit! I personally would visit during the summer due to heat and rattlers. Its called Picture Canyon, located in the National Grass Lands by Pritchett Colorado.

This place has  carvings/ paintings by ancient indians in the area, they've found stone projectiles over 12,000 years old!

A very neat place to visit. Also, there are cave dwellings the tribes used to live in as well! I took a picture of one of them. They lived in the area from 250BC to 500 AD.
100_2710.jpg

100_2824.jpg

100_2823.jpg

the does are the watch dogs and are very alert. all the bucks want to do is get more does into his herd. if you put a outline of a buck standing another buck will come after it. just hide low behind it. bucks hate each other with a passion.

Have you been to Mesa Verde? Heard it has changed from 30 years ago but what part of Colorado hasn't.

oneshot

How true i used to live in Woodland Park talk about change,i liked it the way it was back then.

I have always wanted to try for Antelope, i have never even seen one, i just haven’t been where they are. I know they have them South of me down toward Boise. We can put in for a Permit/Draw hunt for them, but i never have. My Grandfather told me MANY years ago about an Uncle of mine trying for them in Wyoming I believe? Story goes, he had a pretty rough time but He did finally get one, My Grandfather asked him all about the hunt? He told my Grandpa to take Plenty of Shells, that there was a LOT of Air around an Antelope :D

get a permit for western ne. lots of them on BLN land. they are a lot easier to hunt that deer. taste alot better also. when you get one gut it right away and go to town fast and pack the body cavity with ice. the meat will taste a lot better then. get a out line stand up cut out of a antelope buck when you hunt them. the bucks will come right to it fast. they want to beat the crap out of what they think is a buck even if they see you. the does are very very alert and hard to get close to.

Here’s one I took In Wyoming this year.  They are fun to hunt!  Can be frustrating too as you can always see them but getting in for a shot can be another story!

c21c4d10.jpg

Here’s one I took with a muzzleloader a couple years ago here in Colorado. 

8b0f0910.jpg

No idea why that last ones sideways?  Posting from my phone probably doesn’t help!

the does are the watch dogs and warn the bucks, try a buck dummy to bring the bucks in next time. my friend did this and he was flat on the ground behind the dummy fake buck and the next thing he knew a huge buck ran over the dummy buck and him, he turned around and shot the real buck. bucks think with the gun between their legs and that makes them really dumb and easy to get. same thing for humans who only think this way.

strong eagle said:
the does are the watch dogs and warn the bucks, try a buck dummy to bring the bucks in next time. my friend did this and he was flat on the ground behind the dummy fake buck and the next thing he knew a huge buck ran over the dummy buck and him, he turned around and shot the real buck. bucks think with the gun between their legs and that makes them really dumb and easy to get. same thing for humans who only think this way.
I've seen the decoy thing work.  I'd be pretty hesitant to use one during any firearms season though.  It's an interesting way to hunt them!  Guy's are using decoys for elk hunting sometimes too but once again not during a firearms season.  Where I hunt antelope in Colorado there's actually trees around which helps tremendously if your spot and stalk hunting.  I enjoy that type of terrain much more than the usual antelope country like where I hunted them in Wyoming this past year.

out here in western ne, it is so big and open that you rarely run into another hunter. you do have a good point though. i would hide to the side of the decoy about 50 yards away. im done hunting deer but i may put in for a antelope this year. they are fun to hunt and taste good if you cool the meat down right away.

We saw a bunch of antelope but man! We damn near had to drive to the Oklahoma border lol. Just so much land and its all flat or rolling hills. We drove up over a hill one day and saw a herd of 50 by a water tank. 500-600 yards away, they still took off!

It was a lot of fun though. We want go back and explore that picture canyon area.

my friend shot a big antelope buck by a water tank once. it was a 100 yard shot with his lyman hawken 50 cal rifle. right through the head. that was a good day.

Back