Best brand of cold blueing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the cold blueing products and gotten satifactory results? I need to touch up a couple of places on a couple of rifles and I have never used any of these products. Any tips would also be appreciated greatly.

If you want to do the whole barrel VS touching up a few spots.. that's a whole different story. I bought a Birchwood Casey touch up pen for those SMALL spots that show up. It works all right.

I have had good success with Oxpho Blue from Brownells. I did blue an entire barrel with this stuff and the results were ok, but not great. I use it for all of my touch up work. Here is a good write-up on Brownell's How-To section.

Cold Blue

+1 on the Brownell's OXPHO-BLUE!

But -- get the "cream" formula if you can.

It is "thicker-er" (for lack of a better word) and has much better "cling" to the curved surfaces found on firearms.

While it says you don't need to do so, I got the best results by degreasing the metal and warming it with a blow dryer. After several applications, it came out really GREAT and it matched the existing blueing really well.

Good luck!

Old No7

Latest posts

Back