Big Block of Wood

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good...Although once you cut into the blank you may find even more figure...It would be very lucky if you can squeeze 2 rifles, it will depend on the drop and offset you decide...I am very happy for you....Have you received your barrel yet?...Did you decide which style you will be working on?...Let me know what your final outcome is...

YMHS
Hilljack

I have not ordered a barrel. I paused. I figured deciding the type of rifle I was aiming for was the next step and I have been in Miami and Atlanta this week with no time to think.

I am thinking about a shorter rifle due to reduced weight and the aiming advantage this gives. 
A friend suggested that I might get a handgun out of the extra length. I have not looked, but this 
seems interesting.

IMHO, cherry is harder to carve than walnut, if you go down that road.
 If the chisel edge grabs the cherry at all, you get a splinter. Walnut, on the other hand, carves like a stick of butter. Any shape, any direction, with the grain or across the grain.

P.S.  Sugar maple has a density of 42.20 lbs. cubic foot, Black cherry is 33.34.

I have a fairly large (12-14" diameter) black cherry tree in back for sale if someone wants to cut it, age it and use it for whatever.
No walnuts grow this far south and the only maples are the red maples in swampy areas.

Pass. My parents had a black cherry tree over 36" in CT. When it came down, it went in the stove.

Biggest cherry I ever saw.

Swamp said:
Pass. My parents had a black cherry tree over 36" in CT. When it came down, it went in the stove.

Biggest cherry I ever saw.
I did the same when the cherry tree we had came down last year.  Cut the wood up, with the help of my neighbor.  I gave him the wood for his stove as a "thank you".

I won a chowder cook-off this winter with a cherry wood smoked sockeye salmon chowder.
Love the smell of cherry in the smoker.

Back