Black Knight with rusty barrel UPDATE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so with out too much detail on the where or the why, I did find/get a ML drop in bore light, so I was able to brush and swab out the barrel and see how damaged it was...There were a couple of surprises...

1) The material was easier to scrub down than I thought rust would/should be.
2) The material/drippings coming out of the barrel are not red, like I would expect rust to be...the gunk is more gray and greenish.
3) Prior to scrubbing, I did some poking with a bit of coat hanger wire and the flakes that cam off, in the light of day don't look like rust, it is plyable and grayish in color.

I wondered if it was perhaps some sort of foaming cleaner that was left in the bore...I went back and checked, the E-bay seller was a pawn shop and based on the ad, clearly didn't have any idea or care about the rifle. I took pictures, but it just looks like "Crud" or "Gunk" on a white sheet of paper and not worth posting.

So Its a .54 cal black knight with some sort of "Gunk" in the barrel, it may be have rust underneath the "Gunk". The breechplug is stuck...it is the "Sloted" breechplug. there are no tools available anymore and I am not handy enough or tooled up to make one. I am going to continue to scrub and clean and see if I can't get to bare metal in the bore and assess from there. The gun is also missing a Nipple...but I see those on line and getting one if the bore is workable should be easy.

I have taking all the suggestions into consideration and will only invest time and effort into this gun until and unless I can see a workable barrel and someway to get the breechplug un-stuck.

As always your thougths and comments are welcomed. Sorry for the mis-direct on the "Rust" Issue. it sure looked like Rust with a bore light from the muzzle...

Latest posts

Back