Boat trailers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
My boat trailer is a Lowe that I got with my boat. It is not yet even 3 years old and has never seen salt water. Today I was cleaning my boat and found all kinds of rust spots and peeling paint on the trailer! Pretty bad for such a new rig. Well of course I got out the wire brush and primer/paint and fixed it as best I could but really it is sorta of disappointing to have this happen. Is this normal? What has been your guys experiences been with boat trailers ? Any words of wisdom for my next boat if I ever decide to trade?

Is this normal?

ABSOLUTELY! The average boat trailer is just BARELY painted at ALL! They are generally painted just enough to get the sale and that's it. Rusting practically begins overnight...

Words of wisdom... :lol:
Store your boat/trailer in a carport/garage or at the very least under a shed/top. A galvanized trailer as Loggy mentioned is another way and probably the best way, to help beat the rust...

Words of wisdom...
Store your boat/trailer in a carport/garage or at the very least under a shed/top. A galvanized trailer as Loggy mentioned is another way and probably the best way, to help beat the rust...

Thats just it Chuck that boat/trailer has never seen a night under the stars! I keep it in the garage and my truck sets in the driveway! :lol:
I also have been real good about keeping it clean and washed. Well from what you said about boat trailers being barely painted I would have to agree with you from my one time experience. This is my first real boat, and lessons learned. Next time you can betcha I will be getting one of the galvanized trailers. I had planned on keeping this rig for along time as it suits my needs well, but you know how it is, just like the new truck bug, I do believe I am getting a touch of the new boat bug. :shock:

Loggy and V-eater you can bet I am listening, next time around will be different.

Dwight:

If you decide to keep your boat for a while, you could do some searching and find a company that metallizes trailers. If you don't know what it is, I can explain.

Blue-Dot-37.5

If you do, you gotta break it in right! Fish blood all over the place 8)

Blue-Dot-37.5

Rifleman said:
...Is this normal? What has been your guys experiences been with boat trailers ? ...

Seems pretty normal to me. We have several boat trailers at work and they are stripped and painted every year. Of course, those guys average 10-20 launches a day during season (April-September).

Stopped at the boat dealer yesterday and the salesman was pretty quite when I told him about the trailer paint, acted like it was old news to him. He also said Lowe was bought by OMC and now the only motor you can get on a Lowe boat package was a Merc. Oh well I aint gettin one of those after being spoiled with the Yamahammer!

Rifleman said:
Oh well I aint gettin one of those after being spoiled with the Yamahammer!

The direct oil injection motors are identical!!! The only difference is that Yamaha triples the price of replacement parts!!! :poke: :puke:

Rman's riceburner is a 4-stroke too....... If he puts any more tackle on the boat he'll have to upgrade the motor tho, it takes a while to get up on plane as it is!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Fish blood and 2- stroke exhaust... brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it 8)

Back