Captured 120g Ballistic Tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning i cooked wife breakfast, trimmed a tree, hauled the branches to the dump site, sold 9 bottles of Reloder 19, and somehow managed to catch a 120g Ballistic Tip fired from the 6.5 Bench Rest Magnum. The reload for the 6.5, was 38g of Norma URP powder. The capture was done by 4 milk jugs filled with water, backed up by a phone book stack.

P1030545.JPG

fifteenthsecond.jpg

sixthsecond.jpg

The previous two pictures show how the horse bucked after the bullet impacted. The next picture is about 1/10 second after impact, and shows the front jug flying toward the rifle, which i thought peculiar. This jug was shredded, and ended up 25' or so closer to the rifle than it was initially.

tenthsecond.jpg

After half second, the second jug in nearly on the ground.

halfsecond.jpg

twothirdsec.jpg

The following picture was taken about one second after impact.

onesecond.jpg

oneandonethirdsecond.jpg

All done.

alldone.jpg

The VIDEO.

The bullet was found in the fourth jug, which ended up being the only thing still sitting on the horse. The bullet was found in 2 pieces. The 2 pieces together weigh 71g.

P1030549.JPG

P1030547.JPG

P1030546.JPG

Excellent expansion there... that would have been a great hit. Is that a deer and antelope rifle?

Yes, it is. It has a scope with a cds dial that dials out to about 550 yard, which is beyond my ability. Given a decent rest on the bipod, a 300 yard and more, shot is virtually dead meat. Now, if i can just draw the tags.

Hey Ron...Not to derail your post but I am a big JFK Assassination buff/researcher and one of the things that has long plagued the assassination is if Oswald actually did all the shots from behind then why did JFK violently lurch backwards and to the left, towards the shots from the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository, when the shots were from behind. This has been the crux of conspiracy theorist theories for 50 years to point towards a Grassy Knoll shooter from the front right.

Interestingly enough, the Manlicher Carcano that Oswald supposedly used was a 6.5 mm Italian rifle. Your pictures show the first gallon jug of water "violently" exploding towards the path of the 6.5mm bullet that first entered the jug. I find that very interesting!

ronlaughlin said:
Hmm......................JFK? It seems i will have to repeat yesterday' test, just to see if the front jug again is blown toward the rifle.

Ha...Let me know if it does.

Yep, the Hunting Ballistic Tip bullet is great for big game. Contrary to what many believe, the bullet does not "blow up" and can penetrate very well.

JFK Pursued

Pretzel Jug Video

Continuing the reloading of the 6.5 bench rest magnum, i did some reloading, and shooting yesterday, and some shooting and clocking today. The load was 120g ballistic tip, 38.2g of Norma URP, CCI 200 primer, and the brass was RP previously fired 6 times. Four shots were clocked at 2635 fps, 2635 fps, 2640 fps, and 2635 fps. The best group shot using this URP powder is an irregular triangular shaped 3 shots at 357 yard. Furthest corners were 2" center.

Yesterday, i filmed a pretzel jug filled with water being struck by the bullet from the load. This i did, because i have no more milk jugs, wasn't patient to wait for sister to drain one of hers, and to humor the historian(s). Stills from the video follow.

pretzelbt1.jpg

pretzelbt2.jpg

pretzelbt3.jpg

pretzelbt4.jpg

pretzelbt5.jpg

pretzelbt6.jpg

pretzelbt7.jpg

pretzelbt8.jpg

The load was 120g ballistic tip, 38.2g of Norma URP, CCI 200 primer, and the brass was RP previously fired 6 times. Four shots were clocked at 2635 fps, 2635 fps, 2640 fps, and 2635 fps. The best group shot using this URP powder is an irregular triangular shaped 3 shots at 357 yard. Furthest corners were 2" center.

Very nice consistancy in velocity. :shock: 8) 2" at 357yards is very impressive too. Sounds like you have a real nice load worked up for the rifle. Nice shooting! I think the speed goats are in trouble! :shock: :wink:

First i need to draw a tag, then...............................i hope you are correct about them goats being in trouble...........time will tell.

Hornet22savage said:
..............................The term ballistic tip to me refers to a bullet with a plastis tip. I'm not sure it it is trademarked to Nosler.

P7142977.JPG

The photo of the box the bullets came in, makes me 'sure' the name 'Ballistic Tip' is indeed a Nosler trademark.

thanks for the posting and the pics. got the same results with my 300 wsm and..noticed that the bullet is not BONDED ..for hunting i would use the ACCUBOND ..

This season the plan is to use these Ballistic Tip, and see how they do. Antelope are small critter, and the Whitetail around here are small critter. If a problem occurs, next year either the 125g partition or the Accubond will be used. The partition i have used on elk, and deer; they kill both quite handily. There may be 7 unopened boxes of them partition out in the shop. Accubond are new to me, and i have never used them, but they appear to be the perfect bullet for what i will ever hunt with this rifle.

Back