Cleaning The Nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OSR said:
Muley said:
So, I started to look for a drill bit that fit in the nipple flame channel. I found one that was a perfect fit, and stuck it in the nipple channel, and twisted. I was shocked at the carbon that poured out of the channel. It looked just like what pours out of the inline breech plug.
Or you can use a torch tip cleaner.  It works just as well, and they come as a set of different sizes.
I'm not talking about the small flame hole. I'm talking about the larger flame channel. I don't believe torch tip cleaners come that big. Maybe, i've never used any.

For years I have been using a ultra sonic cleaner for jewelry cleaning to clean the nipples on my percussion guns.  I use Hoppes <a href='/tags/9' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #9'>#9</a> as the soaking solution.  I leave the nipple in the cleaner for a few hours, and it comes out sparkling like new.  Never had a problem with ignition since i started doing this.  It may take longer to clean a rifle, but I feel the cleaning is part of the process of shooting BP guns and i accept it and enjoy it.  How sick is that?

Latest posts

Back