CO MZ Hunt Prep

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have an application in for a CO MZ Hunt( with high probability of a draw ). This will be my second attempt. Number one was a enjoyable learning experience. The cool thing this time, is my Son ( who live in the Denver area ) is organizing the location. His buddy claims he is on the elk, I'll believe when I see or hear the first one. The worst case scenario is I spend a week hiking with my Boy. Not a bad deal now that he's moved on and my hiking in the mountain days won't last forever.

I'm looking forward to preparing 3 riles for the hunt. CO regs are >=50 Cal, No Optics, FBC only. I've been doing most of my hunting with 45's and as of recently, I prefer the .52 with 275 Lehighs ( awesome!! ). So, I figure I need to prepare 3 legal rifles as the Kid is not currently into MZ enough to develop a load even though he's shot plenty MZ deer. I figure I need a backup in case one gets dropped down a cliff or something.

I have a fresh 50 pack of 300 Grain Ballistic Tip Thors ( I considered big lead but this is where I landed ). I'm using 300 Grain XTPs as a low cost practice / sight in load. Fortunately, the POI is very close. ( it's open sights remember )

My Line up:
50 Cal Disc Extreme - Used it last time. It's a tack driver with 100 BH209 and these Thors
50 Cal Omega Z5 - Not sure about the Thors
and, i just bought a MK-85 ( pictured below ). With it's like carry weight, it may move to the starting line up. The Omega is a beast as I have it currently set up.

I threw a 2x7 Simmons on just for sighting in before I pull the scope. I love this gun ( Thanks Wolfer! ). It came with both the #11 and 209 / FPJ Ignition. Since I had a couple hundred jackets laying around, I gave that a try. Below are the results. First the XTPs.

It was very windy so just shot a 50 yards.

Then, I mixed in a couple of Thors to make sure I have the same POI as I practice with the XTPs

It needs more work but I have fun summer project ( Plus I need to get in shape ). Supposedly, he's on the elk because it's not easy to get to. My Plan: I'l be the brains of the operation and I'll have the kids be the brawn.

LarryBud said:
............( Plus I need to get in shape )..........
Yes, this is paramount! Get into as good a shape as you can with the short time left you. Look at the FPB bullets; they work good. The Omega should probably have the qla cut off it you really plan to use it.

ronlaughlin said:
LarryBud said:
............( Plus I need to get in shape )..........
Yes, this is paramount! Get into as good a shape as you can with the short time left you. Look at the FPB bullets; they work good. The Omega should probably have the qla cut off it you really plan to use it.

Good advice Ron. Did did well on the last trip. We camped at 10800 and hunted up from there. I spent most of my time around 12000 ft. Of course, I didn't have to carry one out!

I'm hoping I dont need to do surgery on the Omega. Not sure I have the skill set. I'll give try, as is.

Worst comes to worst your welcome to take your old bison it's ready to go, but iv been having good luck making the qla guns shoot by either shooting fpb bullets or a stack of card wads between bullet and powder shooting big lead. I think the Thor and fpb are the same design so that may work for you just as well.

Good luck on the hunt. I'm heading out in Sept myself ( hopefully). Post up if you find a load for the Omega. I would like to take mine but so far have not found anything it sort of likes past 50 yrds.

I know there all different but my Omega shot the Thor bullets really well even with the QLA. If you have any questions or need help with anything pertaining to Colorado elk hunting feel free to PM me.

I'm happy that 85 will have a great trip. I know it's a shooter. Way back when it was my carry gun I used "belted" bullets and it was plenty accurate. And it's a looker too isn' it! I'm excited just to know I having a small part in it. Thanks for the narrative and pix. W

One other bullet to try with your Omega is the Hornady FPB 350 gr. They shoot well out of my brothers Omega and pretty well from mine with an occasional flier. I finally sawed off the QLA on mine, but my brothers gun is OK, so you just have to try your gun and see. The bullets with the rear bell (like Thors and FPBs) seem to do well in most guns. Also, some people are using a sub-base under the bullet to mimic that effect: http://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb- ... -sub-base/

FYI, between my brother and I we have killed 4 elk with the Hornady FPB 350 gr. It is a lead alloy that seems to hold together pretty well.

Latest posts

Back