• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE Colt 2nd Generation 1862 Pocket Police - 5.5" barrel, 36 cal, probably unfired, with box/original manual

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Colt 2nd Generation 1862 Pocket Police - 5.5" barrel, 36 cal, probably unfired, with box/original manual

$760 shipped (U.S. 48)

Genuine Colt
Probably unfired (read below)
5.5-inch barrel
36 caliber
5-shot cylinder
round barrel ('62 Pocket Navy has the octagonal barrel)
Nearly perfect, except for the box and a faint turn line on cylinder (read below)
Beautiful, with perfect dimensions... the most gorgeous of all BP revolvers!

I bought this revolver with the intention of shooting it, but never could bring myself to do so... then I (just) found an Uberti '62 Pocket Police (thanks, Midway!!), and that'll become my shooter, so rather than keep the Colt as a safe queen, I'm selling...

I purchased from someone who said he had it since new, and had the wedge tight enough to prevent the cylinder from turning -- in other words, when I bought it, it was pristine (except the box). I couldn't resist trying the action (especially since I planned to shoot it), which is smooooooth (and original), resulting in a very faint turn line on the cylinder... think of it this way -- you'll likely do no harm/not much more harm working the action yourself! Totally worth it! :)

Seller told me it was unfired (and it looks such), and I haven't fired it, either... but can I be 100% sure it's never been fired? Nope. But I do believe it has never been fired.

Then there's the box... it is the original, but sheesh, it was stored poorly -- see photos. Box is in sad shape, but the information about the revolver on the end of the box is fine, as are the accompanying manual/info.

$760 shipped (U.S. 48) via insured priority mail.

I'll accept payment via Zelle, PayPal, check, or money order (ask me if you want to use something else).
I have bought and sold several revolvers through another muzzleloaders forum, and have members there who can vouch for me as a seller (ask if you want a reference)! If you happen to be in the greater Phoenix-metro area, I'm willing to meet for a F2F hand-off (and you can knock $10 off for the saved shipping).

And in case you're wondering, the Uberti is a near-exact replica of the Colt. The biggest difference is the barrel thickness at the muzzle (Colt's is way beefier), and Uberti has a brass trigger guard and backstrap. Actions feel quite similar, with the Colt being a bit smoother (neither has any work done), although the Uberti trigger breaks at just over 2 pounds, and the Colt's trigger breaks at just under 3 pounds.

In addition to the SN markings, there are other stamps:
- Colt's address on top of the barrel
- "36 cal" (left side of frame)
- "COLTS PATENT" (also one left side of frame)
- "PAT SEPTEMBER 10th 1850" (in a cylinder flute)

I don't know if these markings mirror what's on an original example.

colt-1862-poice-pocket-3.jpg
colt-1862-poice-pocket-4.jpg
colt-1862-poice-pocket-1.jpg
colt-1862-poice-pocket-2.jpg
colt-1862-poice-pocket-5.jpg
colt-1862-poice-pocket-6.jpg

colt-1862-poice-pocket-7.jpg
colt-1862-poice-pocket-8.jpg
20220228_114244.jpg
20220228_114421.jpg

Back