Communal meat deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
It seems as fast as I can hunt deer there are folks wanting a share.

Managed to take this doe at a ranged 89 yards this morning. Sat on my butt and shot off my knees, with a fast lock and steady sitting position it’s not too bad a shot to take. Hit her bang on, although the .535 ball made a hell of a mess to her fore shoulder.

I will be giving up some of this meat to folks at work but keeping some for myself. I’ll probably take one more deer if given the opportunity this year and it will hopefully be all mine.

Gun and load are standard, 54 cal GRRW leman trade rifle shooting cast .535 balls, peanut oil lubed pillow ticking patch and 100gn Swiss 2F by volume.

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

It seems as fast as I can hunt deer there are folks wanting a share.

Managed to take this doe at a ranged 89 yards this morning. Sat on my butt and shot off my knees, with a fast lock and steady sitting position it’s not too bad a shot to take. Hit her bang on, although the .535 ball made a hell of a mess to her fore shoulder.

I will be giving up some of this meat to folks at work but keeping some for myself. I’ll probably take one more deer if given the opportunity this year and it will hopefully be all mine.

Gun and load are standard, 54 cal GRRW leman trade rifle shooting cast .535 balls, peanut oil lubed pillow ticking patch and 100gn Swiss 2F by volume.

View attachment 35171

View attachment 35185

Are those Cajeput (Paperbark or Sponge) Trees in the background?

Good shooting Bushfire. What species of deer is that? Looks like there was white spots in the hind quarters? We here in the states have 7 native whitetail species here.
It's a fallow deer, they are I believe, the only deer that come in multiple colour phases as a normal part of their phenotypical expression. That's to say, a whitetail or elk may on rare occasions throw a piebald, melanistic etc. All fallow vary between a spectrum of 4 colours. There's normal (sometimes called red) which is this deer and is most common, black, white and menial the last can look similar to normal but they have a ginger dorsal strip and love heart around their rump rather than black.

Hello BushFire, great country you live in. What kind of snakes do you see while out hunting. I hear you got some real nasty ones there..
Where I live we get eastern browns and tigers mostly, they are bad but it's winter here so they're all hibernating until about September. You definitely need to be careful in the warmer months but when I'm in the bush I just make sure to stick to open ground or wear snake proof gaiters.
Crocs, irukandji and box jellyfish are a northern problem. We have plenty of great whites but I don't venture into the ocean much so as long as they stay put I can handle them!

I maybe thinking of the wrong deer but a friend on mine has both axis an fallow on his place, says one of them taste alot like elk a lot different than our whitetail? I believe it's the axis?

I maybe thinking of the wrong deer but a friend on mine has both axis an fallow on his place, says one of them taste alot like elk a lot different than our whitetail? I believe it's the axis?
I've shot one axis/chital, it was easily the best venison I've ever had.

I've not tried whitetail or elk yet, hopefully can get to the states to hunt a buck and and a bull one day.

Back