Conical bases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Took my CVA sidelock Missouri to the range today I have just installed better CVA iron sights so I wanted to see what they would do. Started out with the load from 2 weeks ago, 75 grains of Black MZ with 385 grain Track of the Wolf Minie balls and got nothing no group at all at 50 yds. Changed over to Olde Enysford and still no groups at all so I checked the sights and they were tight. So I had one last combo to try. I loaded some Hornady Whitetail 240 gr XTP Interlock bullets in their red sabot at 55 yard the first 3 shot group was 1.10 with the next 2 shots expanding it to 1.70 then I just shot for fun and blew a solid hole out of the target. Changed to a deer target went to 60 yds and fired 3 more groups the largest being 1.65 and again just blowing out a thumb size piece of target. So I looked at the base of those conicals and they were terrible they were round but virtually none of them were clean or smooth on the base they all had thin pieces of lead on the bases as if they didn't come off the mould clean. I really wanted those to work well at least I know what it likes.

Their mini balls do not have a good reputation for coming out cleaning. I'd suggest the 385gr hornady great plains bullets. They are only $10 for 20 of them. If you want something a little heavier, the 460gr no excuse conical is another good choice.

Back