copper anti-sieze

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redclub

Reaction score
I talked with a lock-tite trainer today and asked him about anti-sieze and showed him what we use it for. I told him I use the copper stick anti-sieze and he stated it is a very good product but don't use it on stainless steel as it corrodes the stainless. On carbon steel it is great.
Redclub

Your Loctite trainer needs to rethink that:

Loctite 20gm Copper Anti-Seize Stick

Loctite Copper Anti-Seize Stick provides a shield against high temperature seizing and galling.

Studs, bolts, flanges, and other mated parts can be removed easily in typical dry service temperatures up to 1800?F (982?C).
The Copper Anti-Seize Stick can be used on copper, brass cast iron, all steel alloys including stainless steel, all plastics and all non-metallic gasketing materials.
Tested to Mil-PRF-907E.
Suggested Applications: Spark plug threads installed in aluminum, exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, thermostat housing bolts, oxygen sensors, battery cable connections.

So far the copper stuff is all I've used and I've had no problems.

Same here and I probably won't change (I have a ton of the stuff) I am just passing along what the person who was in charge of Lock-tite training programs told me. Something about the way the copper is shaved and suspended in the carrier that can affect stainless.
Redclub

Is anyone still using the Copper anti-sieze for breech plug threads? If so, what brand and have you noticed any affects to the stainless steel?

I used copper but switch over to the Slick 50 One Grease as it's cheaper and you about 10 times more, it's less of a mess (for me anyway), and it does a significantly better job.

Edit: I haven't really been here for a while, someone want to fill me in on why Randy Wakeman is banned? :shock:

Same here, All I use is Slick 50 One Grease. No problems what so ever,and not as messy. I shoot 777 in all my guns,and haven't had a breech plug stick yet! :D

here I go again being the odd ball - I do not use any type of grease anti seize - I did at one time use both copper and aluminum but I noticed I was shooting it into the barrel and it was hard to get out as it was embedded in the the barrel.

I use stricly tape have been for several years on all of my ML's. I think I have a "THEE" method of taping that works great even for extended shots at the range. One of the three tapes - white/pink/yellow will be the right tape for you breech plug and barrel.

Another positive I think for me is I never have to worry any contamination of the loads with a grease.

Back