Couple of new rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack1

Reaction score
Here are a couple of rifles I recently finished... Both are variants of Southern Mountain Rifles....

Top one is a 50 Cal, Colrain "B" swamped 38", Chambers Late Ketland Flint, White Lightning Vent, Davis <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a> DST, poured nose cap.

Bottom rifle  40 Cal Green Mountain 13/16, 42" long, L arge Siler Percussion, Davis DST, poured nose cap....

Both were stained with Nitrides of Iron stain and the furniture blacked
simons10.jpg

simons11.jpg

Very nice rifles!
Is it becoming more difficult to find high grade wood like that on your rifles?
Ron

That is great wood.  I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other.

the stain used on both rifles is Nitrides of Iron which is called an ancient stain....stain was used on rifles from the 1750 to 1850...It really makes the curl show and also will continue to develop fo several months after, you will see curl that wasn't there before....

Hilljack

Thanks Guys for the compliments....Always trying to keep myself  busy and try new things...I have a couple of more on the drawing board  and one in the build process....The one in progress will be an English Sporting rifle with 2 barrels and the most beautiful piece of English Walnut....Hope to show that one in the near future....

Hilljack

Latest posts

Back