Crush Rib and BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMAX

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this out there and see if any of you guys have any experience with this....I've been using BH209 and Federal 209A primers, pushing 250 grn Shockwaves in supplied black sabots AND Harvester short black..great accuracy, no problems with hangfires, but...in the never ending quest for the perfect combination I'm going to try Barnes TMZ bullets....I've heard they are quite hard to load in the supplied yellow sabots, but have also heard that Harvester is making a crush rib specially for these boat tail bullets....I loved the original Barnes MZ's years ago, but switched to T/C bullets when they came out with the first polymer tipped bullets. Now, I want to see that beautiful Barnes musharoom again !! Anyone out there shooting crush rib sabots over BH209, and if so what kind of results are you getting...Thanks

TMAX
When I first got my Triumph the barrel was real tight about .497 and all I could get to shoot real good was Crush Ribs, I like to shoot the 50/40 loads and at that time there was not any 50/40 Crush Ribs [naturally they came out with them right after I lapped the barrel up to .500] so if your barrel is tight enough they will work fine. Lee

The Shockwave supplied black sabot and the Harvester short black both load very easy in all eight of our T/C guns...I'm curious as to how tough it would be to load the supplied yellow Barnes TMZ sabot? Curious as to whether the crush rib from Harvester will be accurate and reliable with BH209...guess I've got some testing to do. On a side note, the Endeavor seems to load everything a tad easier than the others.

TMAX, how certain are you that harvester is coming out with a sabot for the boat tailed TMZ? and if you are certain, do you have any idea when thay will be available for retail, and lastly, is any of this info at harvesters website?

A Harvester sabot for use with the boat tail TMZ would be of the greatest interest to me as I have something in the neighborhood of 500 290grn TMZs I bought on close out at Cabelas and I also have a like number of 245grn Spitfires as well.

I love Harvester Crushed Rib sabots as thay shoot super out of my guns. Changing from a MMP to a Harvester Black CR did not only turn my 10ML-II into a MOA performer, but a CONSISTANT MOA performer.

Thanks for any info,
Arthur.

Shooting the green Harvester CR (44/50) with a Hornady .430 300 gr XTP over a 65 gn WEIGHED charge of BH 209 and Remington STS primers- no hangfires to date and groups under an inch at 100 yards.

i'm using 250 grn t/c shockwaves with black crush ribs with 73 weighted grains of blackhorn in my omega. no problems with ignition. 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yds. the only thing i do is really press down hard on the charge when seating the bullet. never had a hangfire. i use cci 209m primers

Thanks for the info guys...Yes, Harvester has prototyped a sabot for the Barnes TMZ...Toby Bridges has some limited info on HPMUZZLELOADING.COM under a report on the Barnes T-EZ...talked to Harvester last week and they will be going into production soon...cant wait to try them.

TMAX said:
Thanks for the info guys...Yes, Harvester has prototyped a sabot for the Barnes TMZ...Toby Bridges has some limited info on HPMUZZLELOADING.COM under a report on the Barnes T-EZ...talked to Harvester last week and they will be going into production soon...cant wait to try them.

TMAX,

My understanding that the T-EZ is not a boat-tail bullet, and the sabot wouldn't be either. Barnes has made a non boat-tailed version of the TMZ, that is my understanding. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

CLARIFICATION

Busta...Sorry for the confusion..but the HPMUZZLELOADING article is titled as a field test of the T-EZ, which you correctly stated is a non boat tail version of the TMZ in an easier loading sabot. The article also makes mention of the TMZ (boat tail) shot in a prototype crush rib sabot made specifically for this bullet. There's also a picture of a group shot with this combintation that is pretty encouraging. A phone call to Harvester confirmed that they are preparing to produce this replacement sabot and that it will be available in the very near future. I'm hoping the combination proves to be as accurate as the Shockwaves/short blacks.

TMAX,

Thanks for clearing that up. I like the Yellow (.506" w/bullet) sabot for the Knight PBT (Barnes TMZ), but Knight went to the Blue (.501" w/bullet) and that one sucks in my rifles. I wonder what the Harvester measures out with the TMZ?

Latest posts

Back