CVA Accura V2 vs CVA Optma

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagwood_55

Reaction score
Considering a new gun and thinking about either of these 2 guns, either the CVA Optma or the Accura V2 (or MR).

Is the difference between the 2 guns worth $150 or so??

I will be Deer hunting for a week or so each year.

Thanks,

Both will do really well. The Accura has more refinements over the Optima. I chose the Accura because I do not own/hunt with a center fire rifle. If you are only going to hunt the Muzzleloader season then switch off the Optima will do just fine.

For a one week a year hunt... I would go for the Optima. I have an Optima and it is an excellent shooting rifle and functions real well. Easy to clean, easy to load, and just a pleasure to shoot.

The price difference between the Accura and Optima is not very significant, depending on your budget and needs. There are several options to consider overall when making your purchase. The biggest question is the length of shots that you'll be making. I recommend the Optima for up to 150 yards, but after that the groups will open up a little bit, depending on how well you dial in your loads. Also, the Optima is a little lighter, in case you plan on doing a lot of walking with the gun. Also, the Optima comes with a stainless barrel, and there is not a Nitride coated option for this muzzleloader yet. For the Accura's, the difference between the MR and V2 is pretty minor. The V2 is incredibly accurate out to at least 250 yards, and has the thumbhole stock that many people enjoy. The V2's are drilled and tapped for scopes AND open sights, regardless of which option of the rifle you buy. The MR is only drilled for a scope, which limits you in some states.

If you're only hunting casually with a muzzleloader, or are just getting into it, the Optima would probably be a better choice starting out. However, if you plan on doing a lot of muzzleloading, the Accura may be the better choice, and a lot of people really like the Nitride barrels for the extra weatherproofing. Either way, you're going to get a great muzzleloader, and both use the CVA QRBP breech plugs, which is probably my favorite feature of the CVA lineup. Let us know what you end up choosing!

It pretty much depends if you dont mind the extra weight. The Optima is very close in weight to the Accura MR and both are offered in SS. The regular Acurra is noticeably heavier.
SportmansWharehouse has the Optimas starting at $259 and the MRs starting at $399
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... view/false

If you watch for sales you might even find the Optima for closer to $230 at Cabelas or BassPro.

I have the Optima V2 and I really like it!
It is all that I hunted with after early bow season last year.
It shoots where I point it and is more accurate than I am at 100 yards which where I hunt is a long shot.

Check the prices at www.muzzle-loaders.com
I've purchased from them and am very pleased with their prices, service and shipping speed. Check them out. If you have questions give them a call or email. Very nice people.

I purchased an Optima V2 Northwest edition from them. Very pleased.

I think I will order the Accura MR from http://www.muzzle-loaders.com. They have a good price and very
low priced shipping. They are 40 bucks cheeper than Bass Pro and that doesnt include the savings on state taxes.

But they, (mussle-loaders.com) want another $120 for the KonusPro 275 Illuminated Reticle scope. Is this scope
worth or a bargain at $120?? Or can I do better with another scope??

Konus scopes are made in China IIRC. The model you posted only has 3" of relief. I would look for 3.5" or more. You should be able to get a Redfield Revenge for a similar price without the illuminated reticle. It has a nice range finding feature you may like. They are still imported from the Philippines IIRC but at least Leupold will stand behind them. They own Redfield now.

Redfield Revenge 3x9x42 $119
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163230 ... uctFinding

There is a ML sabot Accu-Ranger model for about $60 more also. I personally just prefer a plain reticle on a ML and it does not need to be a ML scope. Any good rifle scope will get the job done if it has enough eye relief. Nikkon ProStaff 3x9s have about 3.8" and can be had for around $120 also.

GM54-120 said:
Konus scopes are made in China IIRC. The model you posted only has 3" of relief. I would look for 3.5" or more. You should be able to get a Redfield Revenge for a similar price without the illuminated reticle. It has a nice range finding feature you may like. They are still imported from the Philippines IIRC but at least Leupold will stand behind them. They own Redfield now.

Redfield Revenge 3x9x42 $119
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163230 ... uctFinding

There is a ML sabot Accu-Ranger model for about $60 more also. I personally just prefer a plain reticle on a ML and it does not need to be a ML scope. Any good rifle scope will get the job done if it has enough eye relief. Nikkon ProStaff 3x9s have about 3.8" and can be had for around $120 also.
Very good advice..

I wrestled with the V2 vs the Optima debate myself. went with the Optima and a Lepold "vx1 scope, used the left over money to put a new bow on Layaway so it was a win win for me.

Back