• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

CVA Apex .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
This is an early edition of the CVA Apex rifle in .50 caliber . The rifle was originally equipped with a black stock set but I recently replaced that with a camo set. It's a beautiful rifle and I have loved it from day 1. It shoots most every load well to excellent. My preferred hunting load for deer has been 300 grain Sierra soft point bullets in Harvester black Crushed Rib sabots over 95 grains/volume ignited by standard Winchester 209 primers. I hate to sell it, honestly, but I think my hunting and shooting days may well be over. The rifle is in excellent condition, new stock set as shown, bore is sparkling clean, breech plugs all have plenty of life in them. Comes with an extra .50 caliber barrel because I foolishly thought I might outlive the first barrel. The extra barrel has never been loaded at all. I did use the Weaver-style base that came on that barrel on another rifle but I will include a Durasight combo scope mount that should work well.
Additionally, I will include the breech plugs that are in both barrels and two additional breech plugs that fit the barrel in the action as shown. The two barrels are from different generations of the Apex and are not the same, the older barrel takes somewhat larger diameter plugs and the plugs have double nose end flanges. The sealing qualities of those plugs ApexRt2.jpgApexLEFT.jpgApexRtClose.jpgApexRtUpDwn.jpgApex11_16_09TenFullS.jpgApex11_16_09sm.jpgfor the original barrel are amazing. This is the very rifle I reviewed several years ago and that review was widely read. Helped sell a lot of Apex rifles, IMHO. Also included is an Apex tool kit that has most everything need to do most any task with the rifle. It's a handy kit.

Asking $650 for the whole package and I would expect the buyer to chip in another $25 for about half the shipping cost. This rifle must be sent to an FFL holder so the buyer would need to arrange that on their end. I would need a copy of the FFL license. This is a form 4473 rifle and it can be had with several calibers (if you can find the barrels for them). Just in the muzzleloader configuration it is the most enjoyable front stuffer I have owned!

You won't be disappointed.

Damn Rich I always wanted the Apex! I remember us discussing them years ago and I actually got to hold one at Cabela’s but it was chambered for a 30-06. Too bad I’m financially tapped out right now otherwise I’d jump on it.

I'll also include the original black stock set with the understanding the buy will need to sand and paint it. Would have ask for a bit more on the shipping though.

Probably one of the coolest rifles CVA ever offered and strong too. Largest OD breach size of any break action ive seen. Even larger than a small shank MLII barrel.

Yes it is! If I hadn’t just bought a car and in the middle of doing house renovations and new Kitchen it would have been mine . If it was a 45 cal I would have tried to put the kitchen renovation on hold! But I’m sure the little boss would not have gone along with that decision. 😁

Ive only handled one and it was a 30-06. I was SUPER impressed by the quality of the Apex.

I’ve had two, both excellent shooters. First was a 50 cal & a 45 smokeless combo. I sold those for my current model
45ML barrel & a 358 smokeless. Out of all my guns this one is my all time favorite.

I do however have a beautiful Rem Ultimate 308 smokeless (my avatar) that Jeff built for me sitting on my bench. I’ve had it for several months & not fired it 😟 so that comparison remains to be seen.
Greg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back