CVA Bobcat restock...AKA The CVA Plains Cat!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRaymond

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I've had this old CVA Bobcat that was given to me years ago. The bore was in rough shape when I got it and it was so filled with nastyness that you could not blow air down the barrel and out the nipple. Prob crud built up in there from lack of cleaning. This gun was my 1st ever muzzleloader and I put some hours into it and got it functioning again. I took it out hunting that first year and shot at...and missed...a nice doe at about 60 yards. It was shortly after that that I purchased a Lyman GPR in .54 and have used that as my primary hunting gun ever since.  I shelved the CVA for a few years until just recently. I got the itch to work on the little Bobcat as a project. It shoots pretty well but I just couldn't get past the lame Black plastic stock it came with. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't my style. I had been scouring Ebay and the internet looking for restocking ideas for the little gun and hit the jackpot recently. I found an old CVA Plains Hunter stock on Ebay for cheap. I wasn't sure if it was gonna fit but for the price I took a chance. I got the stock today and couldn't be happier with the transformation. The lock fit perfectly and the barrel tennon was in the right spot. The only modification I had to do was swap out my Bobcat tang for the one that came with the new stock. I think the old Planshunter barrels used a hooked breach plug vs the button style on my Bobcat's barrel. I like the combination of the Black trigger guard off my Bobcat and the brass nose cap and escutcheons for the barrel wedge. The finish on the stock was perfect and didn't need any work at all. It's not a finely figured piece of wood, but I'm more than happy with the upgrade. I used the Black ramrod from the Bobcat and I kinda like it. I've thought about putting an under barrel rib on it to take up the space, but I kinda don't mind the way it looks without one, as long as I keep the ramrod Black. Anyway, here's a pic....I don't have a before pic, but it was your basic beatup old plastic Bobcat.

IMG_2201.jpg

Looks good. I'm sure with your new feelings for that bobcat you'll turn her into a shooter also. Good Luck :!: :!: :!: 

Ray..............

So far so good with the Bobcat. Like I said when I first got it the barrel was pretty nasty inside but I scrubbed it down as best I could with scotch bright on a cleaning jag, as well as steel wool...I used John's Shoot-Out bore polish on a pillow ticking patch and a .490 balls.  I ran about 10 shots through it that way getting it dialed in.  Then I switched to some mink oil lubed patches for another 10 shots.  I think the mink oil patches were over lubed which affected my group at 50 yards.  Next time out, I will use less lube...These were patches that I'd lubed before and left them in the mink oil container and they absorbed a lot more lube than I normally put on them.  That being said I was able to keep them all in a fist sized group, and the combo loaded easy and upon looking at the patches, I could have reused them...no cutting or damage to the fibers...I'd say the rifling is smooth enough.

I really like the color, very classy and clean. Im not sure about the under rid, just seems like more weight to add to the rifle.

Fist size group ain't bad at all, its hunting accuracy. I'd run the shoot out for 50 shots to clean that bore up really good. Use some horribly tight fitting .018" patches to really get into the rifling and any pitting in there.

Damn nice rifle Matt! I am glad you got back to that rifle and brought it back into shooting shape.

Thanks Guys, I do plan on running a bunch more shoot-out through it, THAT STUFF WORKS!  I just ran out of balls this particular shooting session. I must say that the lack of an underrib is growing on me. At least with this rifle. I think it's because The ramrod is black instead of some shade of brown, it just seems to work. I put a coat of tung oil on the wood yesterday. The stock color is nice, not dark, but not light either. It makes me think of light maple syrup or dark honey.

Latest posts

Back