CVA Optima V2 Load Data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papapeaches

Reaction score
Hi there,
New to muzzleloading and I’m just curious I’m sure this question is asked a million times but here it goes anyways. I’m from Oregon and I will be hunting the trash unit I have 297 gr Thor bullets and 777 powder along with musket caps. My question is what gr by volume of powder do you use and how do you know where to start your load when testing new bullets? I’ve see a lot of people post start it at 90gr by volume and they have good accuracy. I don’t want to shoot magnum loads so nothing over 110? I hand load pistol and rifle so this shouldn’t be all to difficult to figure out, I’m just not sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated and happy 2022 hunting to everyone. Thank in advance.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
You might start at about 70 grains by volume, working up in 5 or 10 grain increments until you find that "sweet " spot.
I'm guessing somewhere around the 80 to 110 grain mark.
You don't really need a super high powered load for deer size game at reasonable distances, 150 yards or less.

Mine shot best with 100 gr 777 with a 250gr XTP. My cousins shoot best with 70 gr 777. Work up in 10 gr increments by volume and you’ll find your load.

Thanks for the add!

Great, I will start in the neighbor hood of 70 gr vol. now do you do a three shot group and go from there @ 50yrds. I will not be shooting over 100 yards while hunting.

Brand new optima V2 never shoot.
I just recently bought one of those too.
I've only been to the range twice with it so far.
First time I used 70 grains [V] of Triple 7 2f with the Thompson Center Maxi Hunters 275 grains. The Gun shot those pretty good.
The next time out I tried BH209 with the Hornady 250 grain SST's. Maybe I was having a bad day, my gun didn't shoot well with those.
I have some other bullets to try but I may just go back to the Maxi Hunters.

The unfortunate part is we cannot use any type of plastic on our bullet here in Oregon. But for fun i did get some white hot pellets and Barnes blue tip 250gr bullets for fun target practice.

Are you guys discussing the rifle or the pistol? I have the Optima V2 pistol and aren't sure where to start load wise. I have both 777 and Swiss 1.5 F.
For your pistol, I'd recommend starting off on the light side with the powder charge with either one of what you have.
Maybe 50 grains by volume.
With my own Optima pistol, pretty much any bullet I pushed down the barrel shot pretty decent, even a patched round ball.
I'd also recommend wearing a glove on your shooting hand as the pistol grip isn't too comfortable after a few shots.

For your pistol, I'd recommend starting off on the light side with the powder charge with either one of what you have.
Maybe 50 grains by volume.
With my own Optima pistol, pretty much any bullet I pushed down the barrel shot pretty decent, even a patched round ball.
I'd also recommend wearing a glove on your shooting hand as the pistol grip isn't too comfortable after a few shots.
I'm gonna get me one too and then I will have a pair. Soon as muzzleloaders.com runs the sell again. Are you happy with yours?

Old thread but I was wondering if you had any trouble with yours not firing.
I put a pellet in and tried to fire that off just to test it. The primer, one made for black powder, would not ignite a powder pellet.

Latest posts

Back