Does Triple 7 require less powder than Pyrodex???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
In 2004 when I was getting more interested in Muzzleloading and decided to switch from Pryodex powder to Triple 7 I read a few articles that suggested that using Triple 7 requires less powder for the same results when using Pyrodex. I don't recall the exact numbers but it was like Triple7 120 grains was = to 150 grains of Pyrodex that being in loose powder does that hold true with using Pellets also. Being Triple 7 has more pressure or something. Can someone explain this and if it is true??

Have not seen anyone bring this up here might be an old topic just wanting to be up on Triple 7 since I am using it now???

Thanks

Mike / LFM

I believe that Triple Se7en loose is 15% stronger than Pyrodex loose. Therefore, 85 grs. of Triple Se7en LOOSE powder would equal 100 grs. of Pyrodex LOOSE. Pyrodex and Triple Se7en pellets are the same strength. The Triple Se7en pellets are made smaller than the Pyrodex pellets to make up for the difference in power.

From Hodgdon's website

"Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as black powder. To duplicate a black powder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%."

"Pyrodex is measured just like blackpowder is measured. A volumetric measure is adjusted to the required load and the powder is poured in. Ex. A load for a 50 caliber rifle calls for 90 grains of FFG blackpowder or 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. The measure is set to 90 grains, the powder is poured into the measure and then poured down the bore of the rifle."

If you put the information in those two paragraphs together, you get what Nic said. :D But don't forget they are talking about VOLUMETRIC measurement, not weights.

Thanks Guys, I am planning on using the pellets to get started with my new Knight Disc Elite and max would be maybe 110 of Triple 7, 1-50 and 2-30's. I am going to start with 2-50's and some T/C 200 Grain Shockwaves, though I also have some PR QT's and Dead Centers also. Will have to do some testing next year and see how it all works out...

Appreciate your input...

Mike/LFM

Latest posts

Back