Drew A Fort Sill Elk Permit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The annual Fort Sill elk draw was held this evening. i drew an either sex elk hunt on Quanah Parker range for the weekend after Thanksgiving. Approved firearms are a conventional muzzleloader or a 12 gauge shotgun using slugs. The shotgun may be scoped.

thats awesome Floyd! I for sure would be using the muzzleloader. I know shotguns have come far, but I dont think i could do it lol.

Today i took a look at guns suitable for this hunt. My Mossberg model 500 rifled cantilever barrel shotgun has never been fired. Today i installed a scope on the shotgun then said hell, no: It's the most ungainly gun i've ever handled. Besides i would need to buy 15-20 rounds of sabot slugs at three dollars per pop. i have a .50 caliber New Englander with a pristine bore, a .54 New Englander with a pitted bore, and a .50 Navy Arms Hawken style with a nice shiny bore.

i've decided to use conicals for this hunt. We have a good selection of .50 and .54 caliber conicals. This weekend i will check out the Hawken.

My shots will be self limited to 75 yards.

Latest posts

Back