Elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Those elk sure can cover some distance .
You see them in one area one day and the next day they can be a mile off .
I saw a spike bull ( only over counter tag ) the day before the season just above a road .
Opening morning , no where to be found , The next day 1/2 to the south but could not get close . Next day 1/2 to the north . Today i could not find him .

That's why its called hunting and not shooting.. better luck next time. Hang in there. :D

Tough luck. Even with lots of preparation, there is an element of luck. You just gotta be in the right place at the right time. It sounds like you're doing better than most. My dad and brother never saw a single animal during their buck/bull combo hunt. Good luck with the rest.

At least you get to hunt. I did not get drawn for elk again this year. Makes three years in a row. When you are 70 years old missing three years in a row tends to start to worry you about getting to hunt before it is too late. I still hunt elk alone and it is a chore when you do get lucky and connect. Then the hard work starts. I did get drawn for antlered mule deer in a rather poor area where I have hunted in the past without seeing any in the five days of the hunt. At least I will get to hunt something. Last year I did not draw anything. On the other hand my brother in southern New York gets to shoot multiple deer and has them in his back yard. Maybe I should move. I apologize; just feeling sorry for myself again.

MLKeith:
I'm 68 so I can empathize with you. I always thought that in AZ, anyone could just buy a license, I didn't realize that drawings were involved. I have a doe permit & 2 specialized buck lcenses this fall. But not that many bucks in my area. I have only seen one forkhorn about a mile down the road from me. Anyway...good luck.
Art :wink:

Back