Exposed Breech Muzzleloader's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneck06

Reaction score
All,

I could use some help. In my state (WA) we can only use muzzleloader's with an exposed breech and #11 or musket Cap's. I have two Winchester X150's .45 & .50 that shoot okay but.......... I would like to know if there are any other option's out there for gun's meeting these requirements. Thank's for any help you can offer .

i think you best option thats in current production is the knight bighorn. you should also look at discontinued models, the white super 91 and model 97, and knight mk-85, etc.

Thank's n8dawg6,

Where would be a good source to find some of the model's you mentioned. I've looked at the Bighorn it just didn't feel right in my hands. Not to say there was anything wrong with it........just didn't feel good.

redneck06

does not your 150's meet the requirements... You also have to shoot solid lead bullets - so powerbelts will work as also will a solid lead bullet in a sabot.

I gave my son-in-law a Austin & Halleck that he uses with Knight lead bullets and sabots....

The White that was mentioned is a great gun and will shoot coniclas as well as sabots - exposed breech and all three ignition systems if you want. I shoot 209's during the regular rifle season mine and switch tp #11 mag caps during ML season

Contact Doc White @ [email protected] - he has a selection he can offer you.

Web address:

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/

good luck in your search

sabotloader,

Thank's for the info and yes they do meet the requirements. The heart of my issue is this I have 2 son's 9 & 11. My 11 yr old started hunting this year with me (shot his first Muley) and my younger son will hunt next year. I'll pass the Winchester's on to them and will buy myself a new gun. I've looked all over for another X150 .50 cal just can't seem to find one. I'm sure you all know how it is always looking for something newer & better. I don't know a whole lot about muzzleloading except that I sure enjoy it.

redneck06

There is a new Remington 700ML on the shelf @ Sportsmans Warehouse in Kennewick. It is a stainless/black synthetic stock 26" barrel and it meets all of the requirments. Those Remington are heck of a good shooter anyway mine are and a lot of others. If you talk to the manage you might even be able to make them a counter offer - since it is a discontinued ML. It probably has the 209 hammer and nipple in it but that can easily be switched also. It is somewhat expensive but it is really a good ML - even though Remington is not making it any longer - parts are not a problem. It does have some issues with keeping the bolt clean but that is easily fixed.

If you are interested in that one it is a ML so they can send it right to you.

I am just down the road a piece in Moscow the kids & grandkids live in Kennewick so we make that trip quite frequently...

Don't forget the Thompson Center Black Diamond XR. It has an exposed breech three ignition systems, free floated barrel, and excellent accuracy.

RDNeck,

I would like to second the recommendation on the White ML rifles, I just picked up a used rifle (arrived in the mail yesterday). This one is a Whitetail model in .45. You see more .50s out there, but they wre made in several models in .40, .45 and .50. Importantly, they were designed to shoot conical bullets, and they do it well. Most of the White rifles use #11 caps (the Thunderer uses 209 primers but can be converted to caps).

jim

FYI guys, White is still in buisness just behind in production right now. At least that's what the status was a month ago. www.whiterifles.com is the web address.

Whitesmoke

whitesmoke

If they are they are doing it on a very small scale using the stock on hand... their stock maker is not suppling nor they making stocks for them. Doc, himself is the best source of parts - as White Rifles is not manned much any longer. I beleive Sun rise Archery is even having problem getting parts.

I sure would hate to see the White go away but if someone doesn't market and manage better it just might.

This is secondhand information, but I believe purchasing the guns directly from Doc White is more reliable than getting them from White Rifles, LLC. Someone a little more knowledgable can maybe post a link and/clarify the info.

Back