Favorite Top Water Bass Lure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I love the Yo-Zuri line period! Seems I have one of everything! Next to the Pins series... I LOVE the MAG POPPER esp. in SARDINE. Even its 5" size has amazed me with it's ability to attract bass of all sizes!!!!!

What is your favorite?

For topwater, poppers are my fave too. I caught my biggest bass on one several years ago. 7 pounds which is pretty good since I'm not really a bass fisherman. Buzzbaits would be number 2.

I guess I'm more of a classic topwater user. I usually reach for a Devil's Horse first! If the Devil's Horse proves to be too much, I'll throw a Baby Zara Spook or a Tiny Torpedo. Another couple all-time favorites of mine are a Spin-I-Diddee and a Boy Howdy.

I mainly target saltwater species, trout and cats but years ago i fished for largemouths in local lakes and used the Jitterbug & ole Hula Poppers.

Gee wiz, did a search and see the Jittersbug & Hula Popper are still around. I used them back in the 60's & they still look the same. :D

jitterbug.jpg

hulapopper-c.jpg

Loggy said:
I mainly target saltwater species, trout and cats but years ago i fished for largemouths in local lakes and used the Jitterbug & ole Hula Poppers.

Gee wiz, did a search and see the Jittersbug & Hula Popper are still around. I used them back in the 60's & they still look the same. :D

The jitterbug and hula popper have always been in the tacklebox. I've caught more with the jitterbug. Mepps #2 with the bucktail, naturally not a surface lure, has caught more bass than anything for me. The "flatfish" has done well, as well-- yellow with red spots.

My Dad loves the weedless mouse. He must have a record weedless mouse collection-- they aren't weedless, few look like mice, but he loves them. For years (decades) every time we see some really thick lily pads it is, "Whoo-boy! Now that is a GREAT SPOT for a weedless mouse!"

And I've never seen him catch anything with one. But, he sure loves them.

hands down the 4" rebel minnow [twitched ever so slightly after it sat motionless for a few seconds follwowed by a few quick jerks and then let it sit motionles again followed by a few small twitchs.] It drives them wild.

In order top 5
1-rebel minnow[blue back / silver sides]
2-skitter pop
3-zara spook [original]
4-Devil Horse
5-buzz bait

When I can parallel the bank at dark or night time the jitterbug is tops.

I can hear it gurgling and feel the rodtip pulsating just thinking about it!
iisabigone

Back