FFG vs FFFG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banerbird

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a difference in performance between FFG and FFFG powders? I'm currently loading 130gr 777 pellots and am going to try loose powder.

I've loaded 130gr FFG and don't notice a difference in performance. If I load 130gr FFG by volume, would I get the same performance with 130gr FFFG? I've never used FFFG and don't want to ruin my gun by overloading.

Shoot YES on noticing a difference! FFFg is hotter, sometimes MUCH hotter depending upon the powder involved. Try a 20% reduction to be safe.

One of the big advantages of FFFg is more shots per pound. Another is the finer grades are cleaner burning.

A disadvantage is that sometimes the results on a chrono may be a disappointment. The faster burn rate doesn't always equate to higher realized velocities.

Thanks. I was thinking of starting with 110gr FFFG and going from there, just in case.

I shoot both grades of powder. Which one depends on what I am shooting and which rifle is being used. 130 grains of 777 is all the power you are going to need for anything you want to hunt. That might be more then recommended loads for some rifles.

Whether 3f will make a big difference, I doubt. Only your rifle will know what it likes. I like the fine grades when shooting conicals.

For some reason my Omega shoots better with FF 777. Don't know why, but it does. I wouldn't load more than 120 grs of 777 in any muzzleloader. especialy FFF. Loose is more powerful than pellets. 130 grs of 777 pellets is about equal to 105 grs of FFF 777 loose.

fff 777

I have spent extensive time testing different loads out of my optima pro. There is a huge difference between ff and fff, and a huge difference between loose powder and pellets. 120 grains of loose fff/777 swells my primers pretty bad, therefore telling me that's too hot. If you're gonna shoot loose fff start with a lower charge around 90 grains and slowly work your way up. Also some sabots can't handle the heavy charges either, so choose high quality high pressure sabots. My gun likes 3 50 grain pyrodex pellets over 3 777 pellets, pyrodex seems to be just a little more consistent in my accuracy and I only lose between 20-30 fps using pyrodex VS 777. Just start low and work your way up until your groups become erratic then back off to the best group and stick with that. GL

Latest posts

Back