ffg vs fffg

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcop

Reaction score
I have been a long time traditional sidelock shooter. I always went by the old recommendation that you should use ffg black powder in calibers .45 and up and fffg in cal. .32-.45. But I have noticed that a lot of people are useing 777 and Pyrodex P in their in-lines. Does the old recommendation not hold true with the modern in-lines, or what. What kind of performance difference do you find with the different granulation? And which would be the best choice?

Depending on what I am shooting for projectiles, I will often go to a faster burning 3f powder. Especially with conicals. I find I get better results. Also in my traditional rifles, the 3f powder is not foreign to my rifles, even in .50, .54, and .58 calibers.

Many times the finer 3f powders burns cleaner, faster, produces more velocity, and works just fine. All you can do is try the faster 3f powders in rifles and see how it works for you. Not always is the case where the 3f is better, but I never know until I try.

The FFF grade of powders builds pressure faster as a rule which causes pure lead conicals to upset into the rifling better quite often giving better results. Lee

I agree with Lee 9. My white really loves Pyrodex P when I am shooting lead conicals. There was a very noticeable difference bewteen FF and FFF.
I also tend to think that it works better with #11 caps since it seems to ignite easier with smaller granuals.

it's all I ever use

Never used anything but T7 in FFF in my Omega .50 cal with the .25 ACP conversion. It is sub MOA and I'm more comfortable that it will go bang at -5 degrees, but that's just a gut feeling. I go pretty light at 81 grains weighed with 250 gr sabotted projectiles. I tried 209's and they did the same but crudded up the breech and blew back pretty bad. Definitely seems 'snappy' compared with 2 pellets and groups much better and prints over 1.5" higher at 100 yds.

2 vs 3

Shot 3f T7 in my inlines for years until I tried 2f and got a BIG surprise. I lost less than 100 fps velocity with no change in accuracy but consistency improved dramatically! I also noted less of a crud ring. Try the 2f.

Back