Field shooting Tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pocampo

Reaction score
I also have a trick I would like to share with you for holding gun steady when hunting out of a tree stand and you don't have any limbs to use or can't use the tree itself. You may already do this, but here goes.

I carry a piece of braided nylon rope (camo) about 5/16" dia. x 10ft long. I tie it around the tree a couple of feet over my head. I then take the tail hanging down and make (1) wrap around the forearm or barrel in front of forearm.

You hold the rope tail in your left hand and cradle forearm on web of hand next to thumb. All you have to do to change elev is hold down on rope with left hand slightly and at same time raise gun with rt hand by torqueing your wrist. When you feel your at the right height just squeeze rope between fingers of left hand to prevent elev change and let wt of gun pull down holding rope steady. This also allows for positioning gun forward regardless of length.
This can be adjusted very quickly and is a great help to steady elev then you only have to deal with windage movement, tremors.
I have used this trick many times as most trees don't seem to ever have limbs on them in the direction deer comes from. Never have figured that out. This works if you are sitting on the ground with your back to a tree, sapling, fence post or whatever. I never go deer hunting with a firearm without taking this TOOL.
Pocampo

This fall I'm going to try this! I just hope people don't think I'm trying to hang myself!

It is called "The Rebel Rope Trick"

Southern snipers used it during the Civil War, and it works great!

I use 1/4" manila rope and Knots every width of your hand. Place the so that you can use them sitting or standing. Shoot over the top of your fist, or pinch the barrel. Need more elevation, just push your hand out and away.

Splice in a loop at the top end and use a torch to burn off the 'fuzz'.

never thought about doing this, what a good idea. i always try to take a stick up in the tree with me for a rest , but this sounds like it will beat a stick hands down. you could use the same rope you pull you gun up in the tree with, just tie it off in a different place. thanks

Does this rope trick ever get in the way of the scope or in the way of the fiber sights?

Assuming a right handed shooter, what side does the rope get wrapped on?

I will have to try this out as it sounds like it could be of great help in steadying the ML.

you can shoot off the top of your hand, or pinch the barrel with your fore-finger [while gripping the rope]...........or what ever works best.

always thought of that never remember to bring a extra rope

this year i used my safety rope as i knelt on my treestand

i like your idea

JD

Could you post a demo photo please. :? I need this for future reference. Deer season is way to far off to remember this. Thanks.

Seems like a another trick for the tool box.

Its hard to get shooters to try a shooting sling but once a shooter gets accustomed to using a shooting sling and becomes proficient with it there really isnt any need for sticks or bi pods any more. They seem to get in the way more than they serve or make more noise than they do take down game.

Never heard of this rebel rope trick, I wonder what tricks the Yankees used? I will try this out in a couple of days when I start taking down some of my stands. Thanks for the info. I also shoot with a sling occasionally - but I will never give up on my shooting sticks or bypods -

Back