Flounder Trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Got an offshore Flounder Trip planned out of Brielle, NJ Monday with 2 guys at work. Be my first time to fish flounder off NJ coast.

Heres a few i caught out of Wachapreague, VA last Spring & prior Fall:

All below I caught at Wachapreague, VA driftin with minnows and squid(The Sandwich). Fishing Green and Drawing channels out near the Coast Guard Station. Both caught on the in-coming tide within first hour of change over from slack.. Slowly workin the ledges back and forth between 12 and 21 ft.

Eagle Claw size 4 wide bend style No. 042 Lazers whackem on the short hits. The wide bend will pay off in the long run. The size 6 No. 042 works great with flounder in the sub 5 lb range. I like bronze finish vs SW or SS hook finish. Hey, at a couple bucks per 50 just throw out when rusted. Fishfinder style rigs used on slow tide. Those big flatties tend to get a little spookie especially when the water is clear. Flourocarbon leaders used.

YES CHIEF, EVEN TEENAGERS HAVE GRAY IN THEIR BEARDS!!!! :lol: :lol:

6-7 Pounders
Scan0005_0005.jpg

8 Pounder ...Took 2nd Place In Fall Flounder Tournament(A $500 Fish!)
165211.jpg

Grouse said:
Congratulations on the the $500.00 Dollar Fish. :) That's a new Muzzleloader. :lol:

Thanks Tom. It would be a new ML but after the prize split with my crew of 4, $125 entry Fee for 5 of us, 85 Gal Gas tank fill, bait etc.....we ended up getting a Happy Meal at Mickey D's with the net (Without Cheese :lol: ). I was 4 OZ. from winning $1,000.

It was some mighty good eatin though. :lol:

Great job on the tourney results. If your like me you have donated to the winning teams plenty so its always nice to win something.

Loggy said:
Grouse said:
Congratulations on the the $500.00 Dollar Fish. :) That's a new Muzzleloader. :lol:

Thanks Tom. It would be a new ML but after the prize split with my crew of 4, $125 entry Fee for 5 of us, 85 Gal Gas tank fill, bait etc.....we ended up getting a Happy Meal at Mickey D's with the net (Without Cheese :lol: ). I was 4 OZ. from winning $1,000.

It was some mighty good eatin though. :lol:

That's OK, Four buddies together hunting or Fishing is priceless. 8)

Thats for sure Pete. I dont enter any other tournment outside the Flounder. We sometime try to get out the week before....when they aint all rattled up.

Grouse, thats whuts its all about for sure. My trip Monday with my 2 friends will be a great time to BS and enjoy the great outdoors. Hope we can catch a couple flounder too! :lol:

Those look like they would be fun to catch and eat :p . Do they get as big as Halibut? I've seen how big they get and alway worry that if I went out after them and got a big one it would yank me over the side of the boat. :D

RAF, they are great eating!! Are found on menus in many restaurants round here. The Halibut are in the same family but a larger species. They are found in North Atlantic/Pacific up to AK. Get much larger...75-100lbs ave on most trips on up to 3 hundred plus.

The flounder ave in the 2-5 lbs range and one over 6 is a real nice one. I think State record is about 17 lbs for VA/MD.

:D Had a nice day out with my friends. We went out of Brielle, NJ on the Jamaica II. Only $42 for a fun day fishin for flounder. Caught about 15 flounder all under the 16.5" minimum and one blue about 4 lbs. Plenty of action. Sure glad they have size limts today...a great help for the future of the flounder fishery. :D

Was my first trip on a head boat in many years and may try it again next month.

Only fish kept was the blue. The Capt said the water still is a little too cold. We were fishing in the ocean only about 1/4 out.

Latest posts

Back