Friday the 13th!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
This was a HORRID day to hunt! A mix of snow/freezing rain when we got up this morning and as the morning progressed it turned more to snow. We got damp and COLD by 8:00. The wind just cut right through us. Angie shot at one around 7:30 but missed (60 yds! :x ). We gave up sitting and did some soft pushes for a few hours but saw nothing. Finally wet and cold we went in for lunch around 1:00. I sat on the couch and dozed off. Woke up about 4:00 and spent the last hour of shooting hours driving around looking for any deer at all. The only place we saw deer at all was a huge property the deer are safe on and move a little freer than anywhere else. Today was a total bust.

I've got to put my Hawkeye away and get my Extreme ready for tommorow. It's gonna be tough to get one with the Extreme let alone my little pistol. :( Good news is there's snow on the ground and it's cold enough to stay I think.

35 mph winds here now, out of the North/NorthWest. The rain is starting to turn to snow. The wind took all the ice off of the lake today. High was 50, it's now 31.

I drove around a bit a 1/2 hr before sundown and the fields were crawling with deer. Probably saw 60 or so. Almost all were in groups of 8 or more.

Good thing deer season is closed. It would have been a miserable day to be out!

Patrick: Good luck tomorrow, although here the weather isn't supposed to change much from today 'cept be colder. Sunday is supposed to be nice.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Patrick ,should have a little better weather tomorrow temp wise. Up to about 48 but the snow won't sick around for you. Skies are clearing off already tonight. Settle in on one tomorrow and pop a cap. Good luck.

Don

Out for lunch at the moment. I saw nothing this morning except a few does crossing the road on the way to drop my son off at grandpa's.

Got skunked. I couldn't hunt this morning so Angie and I went after she got off work. I had a gameplan but was superceded by Angie's dad. :? I wish I had followed my gut and hunted like I had wanted to but oh well. The wind was south/south east and totally wrong for where I was. I busted out 20 deer 100 yds in front of me and all busted out running. :evil:

Angie fared better and almost had a shot at a bunch of 7 (5 does and 2 bucks she estimated at 170 and 190). Too bad this season is antlerless only. :( They were moving and at closest approach were 85 yds but she didn't feel confident in the shot and passed. She said that If I'd have been where she was there'd been a deer on the ground after I asked her if she'd seen anything.

Today was the last day of the 3 day season.

Latest posts

Back