Got the load figured out for my nephew

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
Savage ML-II, Stainless, 3.5-10 x 50 Vari X-III scope.

34 gr. VV110, Wonder Wad (to make loading easier), 200 gr. SST, 40/50 MMP Blue Sabot, CCI 209M primer. 20 Yd chrono reading 1845, 1858, 1863 fps. He hasn't shot much and I didn't want to have recoil bothering him. 80 Yd. shot max, so I believe this load will have enough energy if the bullet is placed correctly. First shot was 1/2" low and 3/4" to the right, 2nd and 3rd shot went thru the same hole. Just gotta wait for Saturday morning now.

His father came by today to sight in his 12 ga slug gun. Rifled choke tube, iron sighted 870. I had to get some sabots from the house, all he had was "rifled slugs". "The rifling on the slugs will help them spin faster, right?" javascript:emoticon(':nono:')javascript:emoticon(':d\'oh!:')

Blue-Dot-37.5

34 gr. VV110, Wonder Wad (to make loading easier), 200 gr. SST, 40/50 MMP Blue Sabot, CCI 209M primer.

That's a very interesting load.. You don't think that there will be any ignition problems?

I KNOW it will have plenty POP for a whitetail at 80yds!

BD,

Best of luck to ur Neph this Sat...first hunt?

Lets see 200 gr at 1800 fps compared to a 180 gr 44 mag at 1600 fps.
Yup its got plenty to twice that range.

Woll, I rekun them Injuns rownd these here parts useta kill um with pointy sticks, so I'm figurin' thet there thunderstick otta put a bleedin' hole in a deer alrite. :lol:

Loggy:

Yep, it's his first deer hunt.

Rman: That 1800+ fps is at 20 Yds. I didn't want to take a chance with the chrono and don't know how far to place it so the muzzle blast wouldn't affect the readings.

Chuck:

I don't think I'll have ignition problems with the VV 110. There are no unburnt granules like the 5744. The 209M primer might help a bit, plus the wonder wad might help, but now that you said that, would it hinder because it lubes the bore a bit and the bullet seats easier? I just hope the 200 gr SST opens up at that velocity. (about 1920 fps MV)

Mountain Man: I'm trying to get one of those deer with a pointy stick and some string on a twig, but none have come close enough (that I was able to hit that is..... :cry: )

Blue-Dot-37.5

We've got one more segment of bow season down here--maybe I'll get my first bowkill then. Or, if I get another deer or two with the gun, I'll probably switch back to the bow even when I can carry the smokepole. This is my fourth year trying with the bow, although I only got to carry it for one morning in 2003, and just one day so far this year.

I'm glad my wife hasn't stopped to consider how much I've spent on archery equipment to have never killed anything other than a few squirrels with it! :lol: That's almost as bad a price as the amount I've spent on my 10ML, quality scope, mounts, components, and range gear--all for the one deer so far. :shock:

The 209M primer might help a bit, plus the wonder wad might help, but now that you said that, would it hinder because it lubes the bore a bit and the bullet seats easier?

I really wouldn't think so. If you have not had any problems so far, you probably won't.

Mountain Man, if you can hit squirrels with the bow :shock: , you shouldn't have any trouble with a deer. Good luck.

The problem hasn't been missing the deer with the bow; it's been getting a deer within bow range. I've done it once, but it was on a QDM area, and the deer was a uni-spike. Around here, hunting public land teeming with orange, in the steep and densly wooded mountains with no agricultural crops, with all of gun season as "buck only," I'm lucky to see a glimpse of a deer once every few days of hunting, much less see a buck I can shoot or manage to get the animals sneaking from other hunters within my bow range (about 30 yards).

Maybe this year... Gosh, I love this sport! :D

Latest posts

Back