Grand Daughters Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Grand Daughter won a Weatherby MK V rifle five years ago at a Ducks Unlimited raffle. Rifle looks like a Deluxe with exceptional wood. My mission is to make the rifle shootable.

Rifle has no scope. The only extra scopes i own are newer four and six power Weavers. The installation of one of those scopes would probably be akin to installing mud tires on a Lamborghini. Any recommendations for a scope that costs $500 or less would be appreciated.

The caliber is 7mm Weatherby Magnum. i've rounded up bullets and reloading dies. Can't find any cartridge cases.

I don’t know what your grand daughter intends to use that rifle for, but if it were mine, I sell it and buy something in a more practical caliber for a lady. That sucker is going to kick unless you load it down, and I don’t see the practicality of having a rifle in that caliber and loading it down.

On scoping it up, I’d look for a used Zeiss Conquest.

3.5x10 power Leupold scope
7mm mag either the Remington or the Weatherby are nearly identical in performance and recoil
IMHO can be handled by a woman that wants to learn to shoot one.

IMHO can be handled by a woman that wants to learn to shoot one.

Thanks everyone.

i'll order some cases from Grafs or order a couple boxes of ammo.

Recoil probably won't be a problem especially with lighter bullets: i ordered 139 grain bullets for reloading the 7mm magnum. She began shooting a .30-06 at about age 13, is now 23 and has killed numerous deer and hogs using her model 700 in .30-06: She has no trouble handling the recoil of my hot 150 grain loads.

I don’t know what your grand daughter intends to use that rifle for,

She wants to shoot the rifle at targets occasionally and has no intention of hunting with it. This little girl is a serious target shooter.. Her carry gun is a model 1911.

Thanks everyone.

i'll order some cases from Grafs or order a couple boxes of ammo.

Recoil probably won't be a problem especially with lighter bullets: i ordered 139 grain bullets for reloading the 7mm magnum. She began shooting a .30-06 at about age 13, is now 23 and has killed numerous deer and hogs using her model 700 in .30-06: She has no trouble handling the recoil of my hot 150 grain loads.

She wants to shoot the rifle at targets occasionally and has no intention of hunting with it. This little girl is a serious target shooter.. Her carry gun is a model 1911.
Sounds like that youngun's had some good raisin!

Any recommendations for a scope that costs $500 or less would be appreciated.
SWFA SS has 2 variables for under $500. Both made in Japan. They have a 3-9x42 HD FFP, 3-15x42 FFP. The 3-15 would be a good entry level target scope. The 3-9 would have some hunting ability but from what ive heard, below 4x they suffer but from 4-9 they are quite good.

If its strictly a target scope they have a 10x42 HD model made in Japan by LOW. All the SWFA HD models are made by LOW.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-hd-30mm-riflescope-105138.html
If you want to take a chance, the new Arken EPL4 4-16x44 has excellent specs and under $400. Reviews have been fairly good and it has tons of features.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...84db-013b-38be-00163e90e196?variation=3382927

Last edited:
Back