Gun Powder and Static Electricity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that they are plastic-rather nylon! non static.

Worked with plastics for years, most plastics build static, type of plastic, loading (fillers) and process. Should be a number inside a triangle on bottom of container, that will tell you what type of plastic (with carbon black added to keep light out). Static is tied to speed of transfer, humidity, container size, and others. I use plastic items built specifically for black powder. Metal container would work.

the powder CO's must know what they are doing in the packaging process? or they would not use the containers. they are regulated by MFG. container rules as to what they are allowed to use.. jmho.

Good to hear. I was out on the Pedersoli website and it said to not store blackpowder in plastic containers, due to static electricity…um, my Schuetzen, Goex, OE, etc. all come in 1 lb. Plastic bottles…🤔
Gee sold in plastic mmmmm but folks had a fit when I poured into a plastic flask! it totally made no sense to me either, should have heard the screaming when I said sorry and dumped it back into powder container....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH there is this common belief black powder explodes when exposed to static.

I don't think that they are plastic-rather nylon! non static.
Plastics are made from natural materials such as cellulose, coal, natural gas, salt and crude oil through a polymerisation or polycondensation process. Plastics are derived from natural, organic materials such as cellulose, coal, natural gas, salt and, of course, crude oil.

More specifically, nylons are a family of materials called polyamides, made from reacting carbon-based chemicals found in coal and petroleum in a high-pressure, heated environment. This chemical reaction, known as condensation polymerization, forms a large polymer—in the form of a sheet of nylon.

Nylon is plastic, Plastic is Nylon

Powder containers I have are all made of HDPE. Keep in mind In a closed system, ie an HDPE bottle, nothing will happen no matter how much static is generated, because everything inside is at an equal potential. It's the discharge of static electricity that you wish to avoid. However, in this situation no static will be generated, because there's no mechanism for charge separation. There are also chemicals that can be added to the plastic to help reduce the ability to produce static in the finished product. Other than original container, use metal or natural such as a powder horn. Never load directly from your container and always cap or plug your container before discharging. Powder horns have been blown up during a direct load or being left open for that rare spark that ends up in a powder horn.

Powder containers I have are all made of HDPE. Keep in mind In a closed system, ie an HDPE bottle, nothing will happen no matter how much static is generated, because everything inside is at an equal potential. It's the discharge of static electricity that you wish to avoid. However, in this situation no static will be generated, because there's no mechanism for charge separation. There are also chemicals that can be added to the plastic to help reduce the ability to produce static in the finished product. Other than original container, use metal or natural such as a powder horn. Never load directly from your container and always cap or plug your container before discharging. Powder horns have been blown up during a direct load or being left open for that rare spark that ends up in a powder horn.

I watched a video of a guy from Europe using the measuring spout on his metal flask to load a pistol. My brain instantly flashed "what's wrong with this picture?"!

Walt

I read the test. With BP being 1/3 charcoal or carbon, I understand why it won't ignite. As he mentioned, Carbon conducts electricity. Therefore, it would simply pass through.

Ask any Metal Detectorist who tries to hunt in recently burned woods. There are so many signals you couldn't find a piece of metal if it stuck you in the foot.

Many of you here can remember "Carbon Suppressor Wires" for your vehicle. They kept you from hearing your engine through your tape deck.

Thanks!

Walt

Gee sold in plastic mmmmm but folks had a fit when I poured into a plastic flask! it totally made no sense to me either, should have heard the screaming when I said sorry and dumped it back into powder container....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH there is this common belief black powder explodes when exposed to static.
URBAN LEGEND!!!!!

Plastics are made from natural materials such as cellulose, coal, natural gas, salt and crude oil through a polymerisation or polycondensation process. Plastics are derived from natural, organic materials such as cellulose, coal, natural gas, salt and, of course, crude oil.

More specifically, nylons are a family of materials called polyamides, made from reacting carbon-based chemicals found in coal and petroleum in a high-pressure, heated environment. This chemical reaction, known as condensation polymerization, forms a large polymer—in the form of a sheet of nylon.

Nylon is plastic, Plastic is Nylon
OK! makes sence to me!.

Latest posts

Back